Fed announcement and trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by John9999, Jun 13, 2018.

1. John9999

John9999

just checking... should have posted this earlier... do you go flat for the announcement, or if you are in a trade hold it?... I have done both

tommcginnis likes this.
  2. p0box4

p0box4

Depends, short term day trading out before the release, might scalp some of the movement if the release is a complete surprise, otherwise i stay out.

Longer term trades with wider stops can handle the volatility that might come from these news events so these i hold.

3. John9999

John9999

I agree... I have seen some wild swings at announcement,,, can and will blow right thru your stop and you get some awful exit price... I am flat right now with 13 mins till Fed,,, will stay flat till at least 10 mins or so after

4. p0box4

p0box4

If for some unexpected reason they would decide to not raise the interest rate today we can see some nice market reactions, however this is very unlikely today :D

5. speedo

speedo

As a daytrader, I am flat into announcement, although recent post announcement PA has been fairly tame.

CSEtrader and tommcginnis like this.
  6. John9999,

I normally:

If I in a trade and winning, I put a stop loss (Stop Market Order) at entry for a break even. If I am in a trade and losing, I just exit.

I try not the be in a trade during an announcement

7. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

Flat at time of release. But then, I trade it bar-by-bar. On days like today, where volume is anemic, I expect my day to be determined success or fail after the release and volume, and therefore bar-by-bar volatility to at least pick up. 10, 9, 8, 7...

8. Look for dip and sell otm puts on my long position to play the bounce

treeman likes this.
  9. qxr1011

qxr1011

I was flat for many years. Last 7-8 years I do not care, even not aware that there will be the announcement.

_eug_ and treeman like this.
  10. John9999

John9999

When is the next announcement?
    I have been to fed website but the calendar has tons of stuff on it

#10     Jun 13, 2018