FDIC Could Become Insolvent This Year

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by MrDODGE, Mar 4, 2009.

1. TGregg

TGregg

That's just great. So we have three choices:

A: Keep on going like we are and let the FDIC fail, leading to bank runs
    B: Raise fees on banks, which makes banks more likely to fail, which leads to the FDIC failing, which leads to bank runs
    C: Drop FDIC insurance on the weak banks

So it's probably not a good idea to have money in a bank that is a penny stock, depending on who the government picks to bail out.

2. MattF

MattF

Start picking out the smaller, local/regional banks that are in good shape...and especially credit unions.

That way if the FDIC fails, you're money at least is still relatively safe.

3. I think we have about a 75% probability of at least one bank run this year (nationwide run on multiple major banks). :eek:

FDIC could NEVER handle a run like that......so it would be even more "print money" time. :eek:

This of course would then bring in a FED directed reactionary forced "banking holiday" of 3 to 7 days......WHAT FUN! :eek:

No ATM's.....No Debit Card/Credit Card transactions.....No bank withdrawals.....No ACH.....No nothing! If you did not have cash on hand when this type of event took place you would be &^^$%#$$%%^&^!!! :eek:

4. Daal

Daal

You guys dont get it, the FDIC could be a recipient for TARP funds. It would be recapitalized with a stroke of a pen, I have no doubt that if problems were to happen Geithner would drop another $100b to the FDIC

5. CNBC's Maria Bartiromo interviewed BOA Ken Lewis in Sept 08 and here is Lewis' startling back of the envelope assessment.

"BARTIROMO: SO RIGHT NOW WE HAVE, WHAT, 9,000 BANKS? 9,000 BANKS IN THIS COUNTRY.WHAT WILL YOUR PREDICTION BE AS FAR AS HOW MANY THERE ARE IN THE NEXT FIVE YEARS?

LEWIS: GOSH, I HAVEN'T THOUGHT ABOUTTHAT. MAYBE HALF. "

Source: http://www.cnbc.com/id/26728058/

6. And we should listen to Lewis why?

I agree that he's sorta the expert, but he has since demonstrated some significant flaws in his analytical and decision-making capabilties. As a result I try not to attach too much weight to his opinions and actions.

7. Unless Geithner pulls a "Lehman" on the FDIC and argues he has no authority :cool:

#10     Mar 5, 2009