I have Dell T-7500 workstation that I bought in 2012. It is out of warranty & Dell will not renew warranty because it is too old.
It is almost impossible to get parts from Dell. Last time last year it took month & half to get a power supply.
I had minor problems after warranty expired last year & some great minds helped me resolve them.
Today, I ran into another problem & it is the Front Large fan that sits on top of another smaller fan. It started making loud noise & seems to be running faster than usual.
(1) I turned up my office air conditioner just to make sure the system is not heating up.
(2) I also took out the side cover so system is open so it gets more air.
(3) I blew air to that fan using an air blower to clean it out.
(4) I had 4 HDDs in m/c. One 500GB & three 3.0 TB. So I disconnected one 3 TB HDD.
It has quieted down now.
(1) But what if it starts again ?
(2) What else could be the reason since I never had this problem before ?
(3) What happens if the fan fails ? Will system sill run or it will shut down the system or create some other problems ?
(4) Any other solution besides replacing the fan ?
Harddrives tend to run hotter without side panels if they are located in the usual location. This has to do with airflow going from front to back (exhaust fan). Taking off the side panel stops the flow.
Fan bearings are probably the problem. Expect it to fail. If it fails it's still probably okay as it's not a CPU fan, it won't shut down but expect higher temps.
Your processor will auto shut down if temps get too high.