Extremely Slow Fills on ThinkorSwim

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by Crude Man, Aug 20, 2014.

1. I have been getting extremely slow fills on TOS. Its almost close to 1.5 seconds after I click the mouse that I get a fill meanwhile price has moved down to the bottom of the bar and slippage is considerable. Trading on a cable internet line.

Anybody have this problem?

2. 1245

You are getting a delay for two reasons. Your order is going to market makers before the street. They get a first look. Second, their system is slow!It's a retail platform for retail traders. If you want something faster, you need a DMA route from an institutional broker.

3. Is Crude Man trading Crude (CL)? Then the first point do not apply. I have always had good fast fills from IB, TT & CQG on futures. No idea about stocks or stock options...

4. 1 second and you're complaining? Really? Click faster.

5. mmt

mmt

do all brokers (like TOS, IB, MB and etc) send orders to market makers (off exchange) before going to an exchange?

6. 1245

MMT. If you don't use DMA for equities, your order goes to someone that pays for order flow to get a first look at your order. This is part of their income stream that keeps your commission low and pays for all the bells and whistles that retail brokers offer like research and news. HF Traders prefer a direct route. Less slippage and faster execution.

7. mmt

mmt

so this would occur for equities and equity options but not for futures and options on futures? or is it possible to trade non DMA for futures and options on futures?

8. 1245

options on futures are different. To my knowledge, all option futures electronic orders are directed to the future's exchange without a dark pool. I could be wrong. Options orders in equities,that are not dma, can be routed to an option dark pool or just to a MM that pays for flow.

9. mmt

mmt

thanks

10. I am talking about trading futures, all of them Oil, Gold, ES, I get super slow fills on my order, at least 1 to 1.5 seconds after I click on price or send a limit order by that time price has moved significantly. Not happy.

#10     Sep 5, 2014