Enough with this BS "it's not a free market anymore"

Discussion in 'Trading' started by drukes1234, Sep 18, 2008.

1. d08

d08

Why not ban selling as well? Then we'll all be rich and ride on rainbows with magical unicorns? Oh, wait...

#21     Sep 18, 2008
  2. d08

d08

So you're implying that all shorting should stop because GS dropped 40% in 5 days? You should be in the white house then.

#22     Sep 18, 2008
  3. Exactly right but just how temporary will it be? A day, a week, a month? This is the biggest issue. Governments tend to over do things. They cut rates to aggressively, which leads to bubbles and unsustainable growth. A ban on short selling is not a bad thing as long as it is very short lived. Governments are reactive, not proactive and when they react they tend to bring a market from one extreme to the other.

#23     Sep 18, 2008
  4. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

Shorting is buying and selling, just the reverse of going long. So no reason to try to create a new category as you did above. Shorting is legal and a way to make $$ in the market. This ban is idiotic.

This is analogous to the NFL banning all passing and requiring you only run the ball.

Both options (run & pass) in football as both options (short & long) in trading should be allowed as a way to maximize your chance of winning.

#24     Sep 18, 2008
  5. I'm wondering how will this affect the short-ETF's that are structured to go up in value when the market indexes decline. Will those be the next to get ban?

#25     Sep 18, 2008
  6. I'm more of a short player than a long guy... on several of the 2%+ moves we've had in the last month I have mad a killing (for me) going short and only a few hundred going....

guess I'll be flipping burgers or trading futures...

#26     Sep 18, 2008
  7. Losing money is this market, are we? :p

#27     Sep 18, 2008
  8. GIMME A FU(%ING BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GS CRIES FOUL WHEN THEY GET HAMMERED BY THE SAME FOLKS THEY TOOK A STICK TO???????????
    utter and complete crap-they are getting what they deserve-they are part of the cause of the whole market decline-they were short in the back room while-SELLING CDO/SIV in the front room last year!!! the wall street journal says they made BILLIONS ON THE WHOLE THING! and they were not done either with the markets i am sure-they have been one of the biggest short accounts in the WHOLE MARKET!
    it is a shame that all that money siphoned off of the markets the lat few years is going right back to ISRAEL so they Re-build Solomon's temple on the dome of the rock in Jerusalem !!!
    this is all a crime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i agree NAKED short selling is wrong-especially the market makers playing games with stock prices-players should determine a stocks price(buyers and sellers) not MM and buyer, MM and seller-everyone needs to see that the MM controls the stock unless there is too much volume-AAAARRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    make em all walk the plank to davey jones locker!

#28     Sep 19, 2008
  9. I think that there should be a ban on all selling, both long sales and short sales. Once you buy, you own it for life...

A market with now shorts would see stocks open with $00.00 bid and crash in the first few minutes of trading, right?

#29     Sep 19, 2008
  10. man

man

in which market can you NOT borrow and sell the stuff?

#30     Sep 19, 2008