EMA - SMA Equivalency math problem...

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by RangeTrader, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Anyone know the answer to this quick? Otherwise I will have to code it into my plotting program to solve it.

If you have a security moving a rate of 0.5% per bar (Lets just say 10 points per bar to make it simple)...

What EMA period will plot at the same location as a 10 SMA?

It is something around EMA 15 I think... But I need the EXACT number...

I am playing with a automated channel script and it's not plotting quite correctly because this conversion is off.

2. =========
    Yes;
    but i solve most of my math problems with profit in mind. I just studied a 10 sma, 10 ema, 15 ema...

I like the 10 ema,200ema ,10 sma ,200sma amoung others. But on a variety of trends , like so may others; 10 sma/ 10 ema are so close, i prefer descretion with them especially since i figured you were interested in profitable math.:cool:

Wisdom is profitable to direct:cool:

3. I needed that conversion calculation to be done correctly for my momentum indicator.

I got it solved. Now I can plot automated channels based upon current trend strength.

Current SPX filtered trend strength is at 16.70 points per 10 days. La da de da...

Going to be a while until strength is lost. The crash whenever it occurs... (Expected mid September/or in October) is going to be quite interesting.