Education Economics....University Without A Campus

Discussion in 'Economics' started by libertad, Jan 25, 2009.

1. The amazing thing is, that distance learning drastically cuts the cost for existing universities.

Yet, they still charge high prices to get an education online.

Where is the decent, accredited university, that for $1000 a year, you can get your BS online? It still costs $1000s a year

2. I would not hire anyone with online education.

3. lol that's the consensus.

4. It's a safe position to have for sure.

I don't know where I stand either, but look at the quality of the average graduate. Most BAs don't really train you for any job, it's more about lighting a passion in you that you follow on your own time. That's what the BA signifies. An online course also takes much more motivation by the student to complete than a physical course, you're all alone and it's easy to "miss" class. Statistics show 50% of all those who take online courses drop them, those who get to the end have a lot of self motivation.

5. Aside from certain specific fields such as medicine, law, etc that obviously require specific training....what is the purpose for a degree in the first place other than to show motivation and drive?

Surely, as mentioned earlier, it shows motivation and drive for someone to overcome the odds of over 50% attrition through online courses.

So, what's your issue with an online degree?

....unless of course, you are running a research lab or a law firm and neglected to give us those details. Something tells me that's not the case, however. Blanket statements such as the one you just made regarding online educations aren't exactly the hallmark of an intellectual.

6. Yes I agree; and to think he probably has a college education, bricks and mortar type. How dare anyone have the gumption and fortitude to educate themselves from the comfort of their own home. I always thought educated people were supposed to look at things objectively.

This is a good example of why I fucking hate the human race.

7. Leveling the playing field for those who will.... is what this is all about....

If one shows the initiative and the intelligence....they deserve the attention....

If one is just another "win by who one knows"....

Well, this is what we have today....

I would hire the one who showed initiate in the face of adversity any day ....before I hire someone who has an easy way....

Not all education ....ie medical procedure practicing .....is suitable....but a lot of medicine is dramatically improved with the internet....from records to diagnosis assistance...etc...

Procedures should be practiced with "local clinics"....etc....

The point is a very large percentage of the educational process could occur online....at a very small fraction of today's cost....

And would be an excellent filtering process for employers....
    Those that have the internet records ...."get the job"....

8. As an example...DePaul University has quite a few of their IT Masters programs offered entirely online. They are the classes being offered to the on campus crowd and being taped as they occur. You have presentations, group projects, etc., all the same as the people who are sitting in the class.

9. Allen3

Allen3

There are a lot of things that can't be communicated well trough an online university. You could take some classes online, But there are few that will learn well that way. + you avoid any of the environmental learning that happens in college. Or do you want your kids to stay high school kids. For that matter why go to school at all. Home school kids learning at home on a computer are so well balanced.

For old guys talking on a computer it sounds like a good deal to get education on the cheap, but you'll get what you pay for. I think Online education will only work for old (28+ years) guys on computers all day.

Just my opinion and what I've observed. A GED is not the equivalent of a high school diploma, as an online degree is not the same as a college degree.

JIM

#10     Jan 26, 2009