Economics about mass shooting

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OddTrader, Oct 6, 2017.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  2. [​IMG]
    https://elitetrader.com/et/threads/senseless-killing-in-las-vegas-what-lessons-to-draw.313674/page-4

5. lovethetrade

lovethetrade Guest

There has to be something going on under the surface here. It's either a form of population control in certain demographics or the US government wants everyone familiar with weaponry just in case they have to prepare for all out war and this comes at a cost.

Why else would they allow so many citizens to die?

Can someone answer this, can you go down to your local McDonalds carrying a weapon, get into an argument, shoot someone dead in self defense and avoid being charged?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2017
  6. Remember when you were a kid in a candy store...that's how "bad people" will see opportunity in society if they know the citizens don't have guns to defend themselves. If the citizens don't have guns, the bad guys will gather in large numbers (like many gangs now) and "strong arm" anyone to their desire...IF THEY DON'T ALREADY HAVE GUNS! These "bad people" don't even need guns to break your door down and overwhelm your family, and believe me, bad people know a lot of other bad people (especially from prison), so they will gather together...they're opportunists aren't they? Speaking of opportunity, the U.S. public is the wealthiest in the world...much reward for the risk taken (for you traders out there). I know how criminals think, I've arrested over a hundred suspects in my time and had my life threatened numerous times (mostly fights, many knives, gun...once).

Just to stay on the economics part of it, think about the resources that will be needed for police if such a scenario/trend gets out of hand...if guns are taken away.

7. NeoTrader

NeoTrader

it-is-amazing-that-people-who-think-we-cannot-afford-12932907.png

d08 and Clubber Lang like this.
  8. comagnum

comagnum

1,000 mass shootings after Sandy Hook, and death/injury rate per event are soaring. Why is this happening? Greedy politicians! The vast majority being Republicans & a few Democrats put their personal profits over public safety.

They want to roll out silencers, more lethal armor piercing rounds, & sell guns to those on the no fly list & the mentally ill. What's next, selling guns to kids mixed in with the back to school supplies?

Most Americans 80-90%!) support stronger gun laws — laws that would reduce deaths. But Republicans in Congress stand in the way. They fear alienating their primary voters and the National Rifle Association.

Below are the top 10 career recipients of N.R.A. funding – through donations or spending to benefit the candidate – among both current House and Senate members, along with their statements about the Las Vegas massacre. These representatives have a lot to say about it. All the while, they refuse to do anything to avoid the next massacre.

Trump told the annual National Rifle Association convention, "You have a true friend and champion in the White House." Only the second president to address the NRA convention – the first was Ronald Reagan in 1983

Senate
    1. [​IMG] John McCain, Ariz.
    “Cindy & I are praying for the victims of the terrible #LasVegasShooting & their families.”
    $7,740,521 from the N.R.A

2. [​IMG] Richard Burr, N.C.
    “My heart is with the people of Las Vegas and their first responders today. This morning’s tragic violence has absolutely no place here in America.”
    $6,986,620 from the N.R.A.
    3. [​IMG] Roy Blunt,Mo.
    “Saddened by the tragic loss of life in #LasVegas. My thoughts are with all of the families affected by this horrific attack.”
    $4,551,146 from the N.R.A.
    4. [​IMG] Thom Tillis, N.C.
    “Susan and I send our deepest condolences and prayers to the families of the victims of this horrific and senseless tragedy in Las Vegas.”
    $4,418,012 from the N.R.A.
    5. [​IMG] Cory Gardner,Co.
    “My family and I are praying for the families of those injured and killed in Las Vegas last night.”
    $3,879,064 from the N.R.A.
    6. [​IMG] Marco Rubio, Fla.
    “I’m praying for all the victims, their families, and our first responders in the #LasVegas #MandalayBay shooting.”
    $3,303,355 from the N.R.A.
    7. [​IMG] Joni Ernst, Iowa
    “My prayers are with all of the victims in Las Vegas, and their loved ones affected by this senseless act of violence.”
    $3,124,273 from the N.R.A.
    8. [​IMG] Rob Portman, Ohio
    “Jane & I mourn the loss of innocent lives in this horrific attack in Las Vegas last night. We are praying for those taken from us, their families & all those injured in this attack.”
    $3,061,941 from the N.R.A.
    9. [​IMG] Todd Young, Ind.
    “We must offer our full support to the victims and their families as our nation mourns.”
    $2,896,732 from the N.R.A.
    10. [​IMG] Bill Cassidy, La.
    “Following closely the horrendous act of violence in Las Vegas. Our prayers are with those who were injured, killed and their families.”
    $2,861,047 from the N.R.A.

House
    1. [​IMG]
    French Hill, Ark.
    “Martha and I are praying for the families and victims of this senseless act of evil. […] We must continue to work together to stop this kind of terror.”
    $1,089,477 from the N.R.A.
    2. [​IMG]
    Ken Buck, Co.
    “I'm praying for all of those impacted by the evil events in Las Vegas last night. Our country must stand together in support of the families of the victims and the community.”
    $800,544 from the N.R.A.
    3. [​IMG]
    David Young, Iowa
    “My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families and friends of the horrific and evil tragedy in Las Vegas.”
    $707,662 from the N.R.A.
    4. [​IMG] Mike Simpson,Idaho
    “Though no words can heal our hurt, and no explanation will ever feel sufficient, I pray that all involved may find comfort as we process this devastating tragedy.”
    $385,731 from the N.R.A.
    5. [​IMG] Greg Gianforte, Mont.
    No statement released.
    $344,630 from the N.R.A.
    6. [​IMG] Don Young, Alaska
    “Anne and I are praying for all those involved or impacted by this heinous act of violence.”
    $245,720 from the N.R.A.
    7. [​IMG] Lloyd Smucker, Pa.
    “Horrific act of violence in Las Vegas. Cindy and I pray for the victims, their families, and the first responders.”
    $221,736 from the N.R.A.
    8. [​IMG] Bruce Poliquin, Maine
    “My thoughts are with all those effected in the horrifying attacks in Las Vegas. The nation is with you.”
    $201,398 from the N.R.A.
    9. [​IMG] Pete Sessions, Tex.
    “My deepest sympathies are with all who were harmed by this horrific tragedy.”
    $158,111 from the N.R.A.
    10. [​IMG] Barbara Comstock, Va.
    “I am heartbroken by the mass murder that took place last night in Las Vegas and I am praying for the victims, families, and first responders.”
    $137,232 from the N.R.A.

d08 and Slartibartfast like this.
  9. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Possibly the stupidest thread started on ET this year.

And possibly, the most harmful -- for the one thing that any mass murderer seeks, is a platform, from which to announce loudly to the world,

"Hey! I exist!! And I hate you all for ignoring me!"

And every second we spend -- whether from truck bomb or poison batch or rifle shot -- lamenting the shattered myth of a "safe-from-such-attrocity" society, is another second we feed the fashion which will bear us the next nutball.

When you finally the see reality, that every street corner sells liquid dynamite for $2.50/gal., that every Walmart, Best Buy, and Amazon hub, sells THE MOST REACTIVE METAL ON THE PERIODIC TABLE, that every town has a rental company eager to rent A TWO-TON TRUCK to anyone with a credit card, that deadly clouds are but a mouse-click and a hardware-store-visit away.... you'll realize that indeed, "Guns" have nothing to do with this. When the casualties number in the hundreds (as per, Sept. 11), you'll get a clue. And BTW, the DANGER from Sept.11 events ENDED ON SEPTEMBER 11,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Beamer
    but we're TOO STUPID to realize that, thus far. Have you ever stood in an idiot cow-line for the TSA and wondered at the hour wage(s) standing in front of you? THAT is a cost we've paid for 17 years -- a TAX for idiots. ("Us!")

Wake the fuck up.
    Stop feeding the fashion.

10. comagnum

comagnum

Well that's a weak argument when in the USA you are 22 more likely of being killed by guns than any other industrialized nation. In fact gun deaths in the USA has surpassed vehicle accidents in deaths - that was unimaginable not long ago and the trend is rising.

Can someone use other means to kill people? Sure, although guns are by far the #1 instrument used by murderers.

Selling high powered weapons to the public empowers anyone to easily commit mass murders. 80-90% American are sick of this and want tighter regulations.

#10     Oct 6, 2017
    d08 likes this.