E-mini russell 2000 leaving CME

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by monee, Sep 11, 2007.

1. monee

monee

Does anyone have a link with info about the E-mini Russell 2000
    leaving the CME (dates ect.) and going to ICE?

Checked the CME site and couldn't find a date.

Thanks

2. rwk

rwk

3. monee

monee

Thanks

So you can still trade E-mini Russell 2000 on the CME till the last trade date for the September 2008 contract).

4. For those of us with Interactive Brokers, a search for "ER2" contract shows listing only on GLOBEX. Is the russell contract traded on ICE accessible for IB customers?

The real issue here is volume. For myself, the transition point is when regular session trade volume on the ICE contract exceeds that of the contract on GLOBEX. Until then, I'd rather continue trading on GLOBEX. In any case, continued observation of BOTH contracts is pretty important.

The ideal situation would be one where the majority of volume swiftly transfers from GLOBEX to ICE. If the volume trickles out, it could get messy for ER2 players.

RoughTrader

5. rwk

rwk

The contract is trading at both exchanges. To get the emini on TWS, type 'RUT'. When presented with a list of choices, select 'TF' ('TO' is the full-size contract). IB will be trading both eminis thru 9/2008.

During market hours, the TF is usually bid one tic lower and offered one tic higher than ER2. Occasionally the bids or offers will be the same, but I have never seen the TF show better than ER2. There is obviously no arbitrage opportunity. Most of the volume is still in ER2.

[rwk]

6. From the guy at the CME who developed the ER2, there will probably be some new products that will come into prominence going forward...so you may not have to chase the Russell onto the ICE.

7. I was really looking forward to the $25 mini dow. I have been disappointed by the lack of enthusiasm for the product; it's so thin as to be untradable intraday.

I'm really skeptical about new products engineered by the exchanges. It generally takes a good deal of time for players to recognize new products as portfolio-worthy. The ER2 is just coming into maturity imo, and they have to go and mess with the product now.

RoughTrader

8. speaking of e-minis, does volume appear on the december contracts starting tomorrow, 9/12/2007? I can never get these rollover dates right....

RoughTrader

9. monee

monee

Per link below Small Cap 600 futures

http://www.cme.com/trading/prd/equity/russell2000.html