Dramatic Price Change of SPY

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by hurricane_sh, Jan 8, 2019.

1. I see many dramatic price changes on SPY, happens every day, no corresponding changes on ES. So, are they real changes or just data errors? What caused this?

spy.png

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. SteveM

SteveM

Bad data for some reason.....I get the same thing happening on SPY on my IBTWS...doesn't happen to SPXL or UPRO though.

3. tomorton

tomorton

Looks like bad data feed to the chart. Firms I have traded with often say in their blurb that charts are indicative only, quotes are what they stand by.

Plus, I have to add whether you want to hear it or not, stop wasting time looking at 5-minute charts.

cvds16 and murray t turtle like this.
  4. zdreg

zdreg

what do you have against gypsy tea leaf readings?

tomorton likes this.
  5. Time frame too small? I mainly use 1m and 5m.

6. Visaria

Visaria

Use whatever u like....as long as it's profitable for you.

murray t turtle and qlai like this.
  7. tomorton

tomorton

If you're consistently profitable then well done you. But the majority of experienced traders and almost all new traders cannot do this. Therefore, isn't it a little like being told by the examiner that as you've passed your driving test you might like to try your hand at Formula 1?

8. maxinger

maxinger

I checked my ES chart and I didn't see that spike.

But I do see such spikes occurring quite frequently in other futures. it is probably some bad data.

5 minutes chart might be too coarse.
    when market is moving very fast, you can't earn money with such coarse chart.
    You have to use finer than that.

I use as fine as 500 volume chart which is probably equivalent to few seconds chart.

9. luken

luken

means you are looking in the right place

10. Your statement begs the question.

Should anyone even bother with short-term trading? Is it possible to succeed? Or, is it better than trader longer term?

Regardless of one's time frame, one always has to deal with "counters". Be oblivious? Trade them? Ignore?

#10     Jan 8, 2019