Does RAID0 Really Increase Disk Performance?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trader123abc, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Hi Guys
    Is anybody out there using Raid O with their hards drives? I am building a new computer and my computer guy said it would help with performance. I would be using with
    Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000 RPM x 2 (RAID 0)

TY
    Trader

2. Yes RAID-0 improves read and write performance. It also approximately doubles the chance of losing any given file due to drive failures.

What is your application? Without understanding the application it's impossible to know whether RAID-0 will significantly improve system throughput. If you have a relatively small working set and random access patterns, you should definitely consider SSDs rather than hard drives and RAID-0.

Martin

3. I had Raid 0 with the same HD as yours b4 I switch over to the new setup. I couldn't tell and difference on my platform trading (don't think the computer access your HD after your platform trading is load up). The only thing that the Raid 0 did was it loaded up program faster.

4. It works. Really really well.

I have two WD 10K RPM drives running RAID0 off the motherboard (not even a separate controller card.)

These are damn good specs for physical spindles.

It works. It's worth the money.

5. gnome

gnome

The proper question should probably be, "does RAID 0 improve trading performance"... probably not for most except possibly those who view themselves as uber scalpers. (And 99.999% of them guys are totally delusional.)

6. Hi guys

Thank you for your replies

The rest of my specs

Motherboard: XFX MBN790IUL9 LGA 775 NVIDIA

Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 Yorkfield 3.2GHz 12MB L2

Heatsink: ZALMAN CNPS9700

Memory: OCZ Reaper HPC 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 x 2 (4GB)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM x 2 (RAID 0)

Optical Drive: Sony NEC Optiarc 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA

Case: Antec Performance One P180 Silver cold rolled steel

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling S610EPS EPS12V 610W

Video Card: XFX PVT88SFDD4 GeForce 8800GS 384MB x 2 (for 4 monitors)

Operating System: Windows XP Pro

I am running Esignal, Wave 59, IB, with Ninja Trader. This is a trading machine only. Not planing on surfing or using for emails.
    My goal is to have the highest hardware performance, nothing to do with trading performance:D

Quote from
    Sparohok
    Yes RAID-0 improves read and write performance. It also approximately doubles the chance of losing any given file due to drive failures.

What is your application? Without understanding the application it's impossible to know whether RAID-0 will significantly improve system throughput. If you have a relatively small working set and random access patterns, you should definitely consider SSDs rather than hard drives and RAID-0.

Martint

Can you please direct me to more information on SSD's?
    I do not understand?

TY
    Trader

7. mnx

mnx

8. No. You do not need RAID-0. You don't need any of the crap you bought. A five year old computer from a garage sale will let you trade just fine.

It is mindboggling to me that people think they need a supercomputer to run such incredibly rudimentary applications. It's like driving a Ferarri down to the corner store for milk.

The main thing you need to know about RAID-0 is that you are twice as likely to lose your data. If you want to really improve your life, do RAID-1 instead. Then when one of those 10k drives gives up the ghost at least you'll still have your data.

SSDs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

But you don't need one of those either.

Martin

9. Thanks for the information guys
    Trader

#10     Apr 5, 2008