Does a huge amount of open interests mean the smart people know something?

Discussion in 'Options' started by stockmarketbeginner, Dec 15, 2017.

1. ajacobson

ajacobson

A good portion of the large trades in options is not related to directional plays. Search the term qualified contingent cross and you see most of the trades over 1000 contracts relates to:
    1. A volatility play
    2. Interest/dividend play
    3. A structured product which could be a directional play or an interest dividend play - so more homework is needed.
    4. Tied to stock both long and short.

BTW sometimes it is a directional

#11     Dec 15, 2017
  2. sle

sle

There is information in it, but it’s a bit of work to unravel what exactly it means. Can’t say much more about it, for obvious reasons

#12     Dec 15, 2017
    ValueNGrowth likes this.
  3. Ditto.

Big open interest at a particular price mostly means there are "lots of players on both sides... each equally convinced the other side is wrong."

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    #13     Dec 15, 2017
  4. sle

sle

That’s not exactly true. A delta hedged player and a directional player might be on the opposite sides and both can be right (or both can be wrong).

#14     Dec 15, 2017
    beerntrading and rb7 like this.

5. So... how can you tell which is right and with whom you should place YOUR bet?

#15     Dec 15, 2017
  6. sle

sle

Well, that’s where the gold is buried :)

PS. I LOVE your puppy!

#16     Dec 15, 2017
  7. If you knew his favorite "toy" is the toilet plunger, you'd love him even more! :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    #17     Dec 15, 2017
    themickey and sle like this.
  8. sle

sle

Better that a 300-dollar pair of shoes as a chew toy :)

#18     Dec 15, 2017
    vanzandt and themickey like this.
  9. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Some marvelous hints of verticals and calendars around the major strikes....
    But to infer motive??? Wooo! Not me.
    I'd restrict myself to observing what such risk buy-in and sell-out could do to other movers -- options are, remember, insurance.

wkSPX11eOpenInterestCapture1215eod.PNG

#19     Dec 15, 2017
    beerntrading likes this.
  10. Smart people?? You are thinking that big equals smart, aren't you? What if GS and CS are the buyers and MS and ML are the sellers. All are big, but only one side will be right, this time.
    What if GS is the buyer and somebody's Granny is the seller. Is it a foregone conclusion that GS will be right, and the smarter one?
    Also, if big equals smart/right, please consider the following post I made on another thread.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There they are, the big banks and brokers, with all the information in the world at their fingertips, an analyst for everything, a room full of guys with a PhD and a BB, AI, algos galore, and they still have to manipulate prices to make money!!
    They should fire the analysts, cancel the BB, delete the algos, and just hire all the great traders here on ET!!

http://www.fxantitrustsettlement.com/
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Don't worry what THEY are doing. Learn to read the trend and you will be one of the smart people!!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    #20     Dec 16, 2017