Do you believe in data mining?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by luckyputanski, Apr 25, 2023.

Do you believe in data mining?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2023.
  1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Do you believe that it can be profitable to trade a "system" build from rules found by data mining? Assume that everything (data preparation, significance testing, trading assumptions) is executed properly (whatever this means for you).

2. danielc1

danielc1

We trade what we believe, so there is no right or wrong in this. For me, it is first the idea that has to make sense. Data is only that, data. At best, it still only represents a fraction of what is really happening with the subject.

easymon1 likes this.
  3. maxinger

maxinger

For me, no.

For some others, yes.

4. Yes, data mining is important tool. Technical analysis is data mining; so is back testing.

rb7 likes this.
  5. easymon1

easymon1

+ proper data analysis.
    Add proper execution . . .

murray t turtle likes this.
  6. If you buyandhold equity index like SP500 you are still Momentum investing, because they change their holdings frequently. So yes, data mining is everywhere even you do not nothing.

7. RedDuke

RedDuke

Data mining works, as long as you do
    Not confuse it with curve fitting.

8. jys78

jys78

What do you mean? It certainly exists, not sure how someone could rationally not "believe" it.

rb7 likes this.
  9. Hello luckyputanski,

I do not know what to believe in anymore.

If it looks good in back test, in one year, it will look ugly with real money.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
  10. schizo

schizo

It depends on the data you mine. I mean, there are literally tons of data floating on the web every waking second. It's mind boggling just thinking about it. Unless you have the manpower and the resources (eg. $$$), you can forget it about it.

#10     Apr 25, 2023
    murray t turtle likes this.