Do Journals Help?

Discussion in 'Journals' started by nursebee, Oct 6, 2019.

1. nursebee

nursebee

I used to be both more active and more public with my trading. I am considering a redoubling of my efforts and am pondering if it should be done publicly. I expect my previous public stuff was initially quite naive (2007 ish) and that later efforts were to establish my authority (know how). My major critique of those that give advice on trading (selling shit...) is that they do not have a continuous public record.

I expect I am set in my ways, not likely to adapt methods or desires.
    I don't think I could discern good feedback over bad as I really look for a public record to understand where the advice is coming from (from what authority is the advice from?).
    I expect that the peanut gallery would not appreciate my efforts.
    I do not think anybody would hire me and I do not need the money from another job.
    I am reaching a point in life that I am increasingly concerned about ID and financial theft and think a public record could increase this risk.

What are your thoughts?
    Has having a public journal positively affected your bottom line profit and losses and if so how?
    Have you gained anything by following a journal?

Thanks.

2. Overnight

Overnight

I think it is a benefit to have a public journal. You don't HAVE to give exact details...Just assure it is an honest journal.

You can post a penny for your own thoughts on your own piece of paper, and ruminate upon it. Or, you can post a public journal and invite public comment, and may receive positive feedback. You may receive negative feedback as well.

I recall a time almost two years ago when I received advisories about what I should not do when I was having a bad time, through PMs. I had knowledge of what they were saying before they said it, but it was nice to see it reinforced. It may be why I am still around, much to the chagrin of some folks here. Just shrug them off and keep on truckin'.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Besides, trading can be lonely. Nothing wrong with having online friends around to liven up your thoughts. :)

3. gaussian

gaussian

I have started to post ideas over in the agriculture futures subforum because I am learning it, and I am trying to get feedback from people who are better than me.

I do not keep a public journal though. I don't think it's a useful exercise. The signal to noise ratio is far too low. Instead, keep a private journal and post ideas/questions in a relevant subforum after you've analyzed your week/month whatever. A journal is supposed to be an exercise at introspection not a bragging thing.

4. nursebee

nursebee

How do you KNOW they are better than you?

5. gaussian

gaussian

I don't really. But considering im starting from zero and have a handful of books on spreading sitting on my desk I am skimming through I can verify at least at a high level they know something.

There are people who's opinions I trust more than others. That's all. The problem with public journals is they bring the peanut gallery out. Better to synthesize your views on and post them on a relevant forum instead.

6. nursebee

nursebee

I find most online exchanges devoid of meaning. Few if any people have had an interest in revealing enough info for me to trust them.

Examples of online stuff that I have carried with me.
    1. Some online anonymous person kept preaching in a chat room that he/she liked a OLED type display company. They came across as a wack job. The stock went to the moon.
    2. Someone chided me on my blog for not holding an insurer longer, said the real money was made in the waiting. CNO. They were right. Not sure who it was. It was a trade.
    3. I talked to Don Miller on the phone at least once. Good guy. Partial public record.
    4. The purveyor of this website once gave me his phone number to talk about internet stuff. Not anything market related.
    5. I forget his name but the Palm Beach Hedge fund guy that had strong opinions on SHAK donated money to a non profit my mother ran.

I can't really think of much else other than a large number of Ahole Troles

7. Overnight

Overnight

Then you already have your mind made up. So why ask the question?

As for #4, yeah, he gave me his number once also to talk about Internet stuff. So what? That has NOTHING to do with your ponderment of starting a public journal.

Oh, and #5? Talk to your mom then? She may give the best advice of all. After all, moms know best!

8. gaussian

gaussian

I have had a handful of wonderful conversations with people here, some of them even over the phone. You really have to earn people's trust and respect before they talk to you - and "trust" is sort of a two way street.

If you are looking for tips you're off to a bad start. Advice on trading is different from stock tips.

9. tomorton

tomorton

Monitor your trades, techniques and performance in order to improve and develop these. Collect data but only if it will be meaningful in a year's time, and always objective.

nursebee likes this.
  10. nursebee

nursebee

Oh hell no, don't want any tips. Dont really want advice either though I like/agree with what tomorton said.

#10     Oct 6, 2019