Do I see a pattern when leaps expire Jan 21, 2022...

Discussion in 'Options' started by Cabin111, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Cabin111

Cabin111

I went back and looked at the S & P 500 (last 10 years). I wanted to see if there was a pattern when/if my leap options (covered calls) expire out the the money. In many years the market would drop after the leap days. Many times when they expired out of the money, in late January and early February, the next option money seemed to be of poor value. If I waited a month or two for another leap, the stock would rise and I'd see better value for my options. It could be these were cyclical stocks at the time also.

So in general, is there a pattern right after triple witching days (or a leap Jan), where the value for writing is not seen for weeks after the expiration date?? Can you give basic proof that this pattern occurs? Just asking...

Please no ripping for doing covered calls. I've explained it before why I do them. A bank's trust department could be in charge of our trust and may not catch covering or exercising. Now a days, I tend to do them on quality stocks (that usually pay a dividend). I tend to do leaps (way out of the money), to generate a small amount of income.

Thanks for any pattern you can find...

2. taowave

taowave

Zero pattern to be found....