Do females make better traders?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bat1, Sep 28, 2009.

1. sakhter

sakhter

lol

#31     Sep 29, 2009
  2. Anyone who asks this question obviously has never worked in a professional trading environment. The answer is HELL NO. If they did I'm pretty sure they would account for more than 1% of the people in my work environment.

#32     Sep 29, 2009
  3. Yes, we make better traders.

Pekelo

#33     Sep 29, 2009
  4. Yes in a bear market, no in a bull market due to testosterone levels.

Akuma

#34     Sep 29, 2009
  5. There's some very well-known research that does suggest that women make better traders. Reason seems to be that women don't suffer from the overconfidence bias and, as a result, trade less frequently and thus lose less on transaction costs.

The paper in question is 'Boys Will Be Boys: Gender, Overconfidence and Common Stock Investment' by Barber and Odean.

#35     Sep 29, 2009
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

Not necesserily. Who are the better carsalesme... I mean sales persons, males or females?

Now before you answer that answer this: How many female carsale person do you know or ever seen? See? Just because they are underrepresented in a certain industry, that doesn't mean they are not better at that certain task. probably they just don't like that type of work and enviroment...

#36     Sep 29, 2009
  7. Informed

Informed

Some hedge funds did experiments - give female hormones to some male traders and Ph.D. quants who could not deliver consistent results. The result was positive but the practice is not widely spread because of potential legal issues.

#37     Sep 29, 2009
  8. Women have less testosterone, therefore they are less agressive and more conservative.

Women are less likely to blowup, as a result.
    Most traders blowup so they clearly have an edge.

#38     Sep 29, 2009
  9. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

I am trying to capitalize on that, it's a unique chance for us...

In no time, all we will have to do is to be handsome, attractive and hopefully sell our body to those bitches who thinks money can buy everything...

I'm so high maintenance that they'd better work their booties off.

:D

#39     Sep 30, 2009
  10. if they did we would have hired one by now

#40     Sep 30, 2009