Desktop Shortcuts ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Star, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Star

Star

Most of the time I read something that I will go back to often...say like my Yahoo Mail, I will right click and make a shortcut on my desktop so I can just click on it to go there again....instead of putting it in my IE favorites..

Now my desktop is getting very cluttered with all these icons- shortcuts but I don't know how to organize them or make my desktop clutter free....or is there a better way to keep places I frequent on a daily basis instead of on my desktop?..

2. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

You could try creating folders on your Desktop and organizing your icons into these folders.

For example: Place all your icons related to trading/investing into a folder named "Investing". You could place your e-mail icons into a folder called "mail".

Try doing this, it should clean up some of the clutter on your Desktop.

3. Star

Star

Thank You and I have thought of making a folder but the problem I thought I would have is how would I save a website to a specific folder on my desktop? ( I hope this makes sense to you)

When I am at a website and right click to save it, I see an option to Create Shortcut but they always seem to just go to my desktop...is there a way I could save a website I want to save to a specific folder on my desktop..such as the Investing one you suggested???

4. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

You can click on Favorites in the menu section of IE and right click on one of your favorites and drag and drop this icon into a created folder on your desktop.

5. Sashe

Sashe

or you can get of those Dell 30" LCDs and keep placing the shortcuts as you were:D

6. I've been using the Google desktop Explorer, test-driving it, so to speak. Some others here may be able to tell us if it's got any malware aspects. So far, however, it is just an incredibly fast way to search my own computer for files I am interested in.

When you have your saving protocol figured out, you may want to try the Google desktop Explorer

http://desktop.google.com/

7. Star

Star

That is cute...I have a 17" LCD and I actually found an icon I had saved to the desktop totally off the screen :)

8. Star

Star

ok..I just clicked on the Favorites in the menu section of IE as you suggested and I see how it opened to the left so I think what you suggested might do just what you said...I will try it out..thanks a lot!

9. Star

Star

Thanks for that!

10. Star

Star

I feel so stupid now...I signed out, made a new folder called ELITE on my desktop...I then came here to Elite, added it to my favorites in a new folder I named ELITE and then I right clicked on it to drag it to the folder called ELITE on my desktop but I can't see my desktop to drag it to.....What am I doing so wrong ? :(

#10     Dec 25, 2005