Dendreon (DNDN) Tuesday. Cure for Cancer? Does stock go to $0, or $75 after Tues.?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by wilburbear, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Nice call!

#41     Apr 28, 2009
  2. its still all hype. their own data shows it is little more effective than a placebo.

#42     Apr 28, 2009
  3. SForce

SForce

So they did bust some of the options trades? .. I was buying puts into the drop with plans of an immediate turn around. I managed to get my fill immediately (of course) but couldn't turn it around and sell in time. My buy was within 11 seconds of the halt, I only needed 2 more seconds maybe. My broker said the OCC (or whoever would do it) was reviewing all option trades and might bust some of them, they would let us know. - No notification, no reversal, my puts will be worthless in the morning.

I can accept losing money when the trade goes against me. Halting is not that though. They halted for a "news release". Oh really? .. Why did you wait until the stock lost 45% to halt and tack on the news release reason? .. Why not halt it in premarket? This is f-----g retarded.

#43     Apr 28, 2009
  4. Huh? Some facts please. Please. Show the world your ignorance. You do know, Sparky, it's ok if some stocks go up? Right?

Biotech
    Provenge Doc: FDA Has All the Data It Needs
    By Adam Feuerstein
    Portfolio Manager, Biotech Select
    4/28/2009 6:26 PM EDT
    URL: http://www.thestreet.com/p/newsanalysis/biotech/10493302.html

CHICAGO -- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has all the data it needs now to finally approve Dendreon's (DNDN) prostate cancer vaccine Provenge, says the researcher who presented the Provenge study results Tuesday.

"These data answer all the questions raised two years ago by the FDA. I think they will approve it," said Dr. David Penson, a professor of urology at the University of Southern California and an investigator in the Provenge study.

The FDA refused to approve Provenge two years ago despite data from previous clinical trials showing the drug extended survival by 4.3 months in men with advanced prostate cancer. At that time, regulators asked Dendreon to provide more proof that Provenge could prolong survival.

That proof came Tuesday at the annual meeting of the American Urological Association.

Penson presented the final data from Dendreon's phase III IMPACT study showing that Provenge prolonged survival by 4.1 months in men with advanced prostate cancer. After three years, 31.7% of Provenge-treated patients were alive, compared to 23% for control patients -- a 38% improvement. The results were statistically significant.

The 4.1-month survival benefit was on the upper end of expectations and exceeds the survival advantage provided by Taxotere, a chemotherapy drug marketed by Sanofi Aventis.

To put these results in perspective, very few cancer drugs can make the claim of a survival benefit greater than four months. Only one drug has had that kind of impact recently -- Genentech's Avastin, which improved survival in advanced colon cancer patients by 4.7 months.

"I'm already getting calls weekly from patients wondering when Provenge will be approved," said Penson.

Dendreon CEO Mitch Gold said the company would re-file Provenge with the FDA in the fourth quarter.

"The results of the [Provenge]

The IMPACT study enrolled 512 men with advanced prostate cancer who no longer responded to hormone therapy. The primary endpoint of the study was to determine whether treatment with Provenge prolonged overall survival of patients compared to a placebo.

Dr. Robert Reiter, a professor of urology at the UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center and a self-described Provenge skeptic was in the audience to see the Provenge presentation, and walked away impressed.

"Four months of survival including crossover probably means that the survival benefit may be even higher, with no significant toxicity. While I would have liked to see some data showing Provenge improving quality of life, if the drug is approved and paid for, there are not going to be a lot of reasons not to use it," he said.

By crossover, Reiter is referring to a rule in the study that allowed patients in the control arm to receive a frozen form of Provenge once their prostate cancer progressed. This set a higher bar for Provegne to show a survival benefit.

While Provenge's survival benefit was robust, the drug did not shrink tumors or stop them from growing. The study was also not designed to measure whether patients enjoyed an improved quality of life.

Penson, however, says the drug's clean safety profile and ease of administration makes patients feel better.

Adam Feuerstein writes regularly for TheStreet.com. In keeping with TSC's editorial policy, he doesn't own or short individual stocks, although he owns stock in TheStreet.com.

#44     Apr 28, 2009
  5. All the reports out are saying even if the FDA approves dndn the whole process of approval and patients being able to receive the medicine is over one year away.
    Dndn could still see drops like yesterday several more times.

I am taking my profits and waiting for a drop back into the 12 dollar range.

#45     Apr 29, 2009
  6. zdreg

zdreg

7. Out of curiosity I just looked at time and sales from April 28th right before the halt. At 13:25:54 I see a 100 shares print at $21.89. The next print of 400 shares $13.02 doesn't show until 13:26:58. What happened for this 1 minute and 4 seconds? Some selected tape prints below
    Time, Last Price, Last Size
    13:25:54, $21.89, 100

13:26:58, $13.02, 400
    13:26:59, $12.13, 925
    13:27:00, $12.37, 100
    13:27:01, $12.36, 100
    13:27:02, $11.841, 500
    13:27:03, $11.81, 100
    many other prints in this 6 seconds (from 13:26:58 to 13:27:03)

13:40:42, $12.62, 200
    13:41:53, $12.165, 100
    13:42:26, $12.16, 100
    13:42:55, $11.115, 100
    13:43:42, $22.26, 200
    13:44:18, $22.475, 200
    13:44:50, $22.47, 100
    13:45:12, $22.47, 100

A little too volatile for my taste. I'm glad I wasn't involved.

#47     Apr 29, 2009
  8. had to throw this chart up before I forgot, gap fill? :)

#48     Apr 29, 2009
  9. I really don't understand how they're letting those trades stand. that was some of the biggest bullshit i've ever seen.

#49     Apr 29, 2009
  10. sprstpd

sprstpd

It is because Goldman Sachs was buying DNDN right before the halt (just my theory) and they don't bust on Goldman.

#50     Apr 29, 2009