Dell Precision T5810, well appointed.... $849

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scataphagos, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  2. It appears as though someone has already purchased this.

3. No surprise. People who know value would snap this one up. Check the website. There may be others with "around that price" but slightly different specs... like a different video card or drive storage.

4. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

Interesting this thread came up, I just had a server configured with two E5 2690, 64gb memory, and 4 large storage drives in Raid 10 configuration, mostly for compute purposes and as storage to aid my research. I do not know, though, whether Xeons provide any benefit at all for a trading workstation...

5. Which Dell model was that, @Scataphagos ?

In the market for a workstation myself.

6. Precision T5810 workstation

Laissez Faire likes this.
  7. haroldg

haroldg

8. Thanks. I think I saw you mention that HP workstations are similar. These (and Lenovo) are more common (thus more price competitive) here in Norway, so I might see if I can find a suitable model from one of these two.

9. I quickly checked a comparable HP Z440 workstation. Didn't offer 8GB RAM, 16GB minimum... and was priced at $2,125. HPs are almost always more expensive than Dell Precision for equivalent machine here in US.

Laissez Faire likes this.
  10. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

What is the benefit of buying a Xeon single cpu workstation for trading? I never really understood that. It's not like the rate of breakage in the retail desktop market is so high to justify the investment in a Xeon platform. At least I never had a desktop die on me while trading and even if, I would be able switch to a connected laptop or other desktop in seconds. Not sure whether buying recycled garbage off large companies like Dell is so awesome to start with anyway. You can then as well hunt for Xeon engineering samples as well. If it's just for enthusiast purposes to show off many cores even they are useless for trading applications then I understand. But I fail to see the utility in using Xeons as trading workstation building blocks.

#10     Jan 11, 2017
    zdreg and Overnight like this.