Dell or Acer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maverick74, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

I was thinking about getting a Dell M90 laptop to use as a backup for trading on the road. It seems as though a lot of people on here recommend Acer's. It's funny I have always thought of Acer's as a generic model. How would you guys compare the Acer to Dell and what model of Acer would pack the same professional and networking punch as the high end M90 from Dell? TIA

2. i think you should look at the dell m1330 or m1530 instead of the m90. much lighter and easier to carry, quadro graphics are completely useless to trading, it's for CAD work. Acer notebooks are not very durable and quality stuff, look into thinkpads if thats what your looking for.

3. Gateway NX860XL 17" screen notebook, 2.1Ghz Intel Centrino Duo Core chip, 2G mem(I know...not great), 100 G Hard-Drive, latest greatest gaming vid card-
    $750 w/1 yr warranty, free shipping.
    Remanufactured.
    My wife just got a Gateway NX570X 15" notebook with 160 G Hard-Drive , same other specs as mine, for $650, also a Reman. unit.
    Can't beat it.

4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Just for shits and giggles, let's throw the Sony Vaio into the mix as well.

5. If build quality is what you're looking for, you should A/B Dell, Acer and Gateway with Lenovo. Thinkpads are built strong and you can purchase next day warranty service if you need it.

They're 10-15% more expensive by spec than the other retail brands but there's a reason for it. Having said that, you should be able to find a link to the Employee Pricing website and save a few bucks that way.

6. i vote macbook pro, I use one :D

7. timbo

timbo

Marketing is a funny thing. I've seen the same substance marked differently with a cost differential and no one seems to notice.

8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Are you refering to the Sony Vaio in terms of marketing? Why is there a price premium built into the Vaio? It can't just be looks can it? Is the build quality that much better. I think the Vaio is the only PC product trading at a premium to the Mac.

9. timbo

timbo

Buy a $800 laptop. You'll be fine.

10. Maverick74

Maverick74

Which one? :(

#10     Dec 2, 2007