Dedicated camera, or, iPhone X Plus dedicated to photography ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wallace, Jun 12, 2018.

which are you using ?

1. camera

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. iPhone/smartphone

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. I don't own a camera nor a smartphone. A couple of weeks ago I started for some reason to groove on the idea of an iPhone for photography only.

I think the iPhone's neat, cute, and I think sufficient for my needs, tho I'm not altogether sure what they are, the camera will be a source of images to print 'editions' of and offer for sale.

The new iPhone X may have some price reduction but it's still Expensive and that cost will buy a Lot of camera plus a couple of extra w/a and tele zoom lenses the phone can't match.

The end result photos from the iPhone appear to be excellent within their context and I think my needs, but I would in any case commit to the phone camera regardless of shortcomings.

The other thing is the iPhone's so small, compact, lite and portable and can still deliver RAW and HD files, movies, plus there's software for it and supplemental lenses, hmmm, and any other add-ons are pocket stuffable.

What's the downside ?

2. I know very little about this subject but I am surprised you wouldn't want the best camera possible if you are planning on selling the prints.

3. Hi Slartibartfast. I used to refer to depth of field as 'field of focus'.
    There's all sorts blur effects that come into being depending on the background, lens being used, light direction and so on. One sort of reverse effect - blured foreground is a long shutter speed when photographing flowing water.

I've read a couple of articles similar to the one you linked - thanks, but didn't see such a color balance difference between images. Guess Apple are trying to please the 'snap-shotter' rather than 'serious' photographer when it comes to color balance algorithms.

It's hard to believe that the 'low light' example didn't provide enough light - based on the dslr image for the iPhone to also render an image. I'll have to find out more about 'portrait mode' and see if it can be turned off; I don't see why the iPhone couldn't capture that image, it sure doesn't look like 'low' light. It's a 'turn on' feature.
    https://www.imore.com/how-shoot-portrait-mode-photos-night-or-low-light

The 'enlarge shot' in the 'Which is which' segment is also interesting. The left dslr image has the field of focus on the fingers of the man's right hand. The field of focus for the iPhone image is the face, and it's the man's beard that's well defined. Page up and in the full sidebyside images you can see the dslr focus was wrong - not focusing on the eyes. iPhone image is much better.

Image Editing, are you using any standalone software ?

4. Hi AAAintheBeltway. Understand what you mean, I didn't explain fully.

" images to print ". Images refers to: photo images, watercolor images, woodblock images, lithograph images, oil color images etc that can be emulated/rendered using for instance CorelDraw's Painter program: https://www.painterartist.com/en/product/painter/#features
    The iPhone would be used to make a photo record for example of something that gave me an idea of an image to create, photo something/s to include in an image as well as a straight photo and photo to manipulate using the Painter program.

Printing would be done on a high-end ink jet printer. Asking price for prints would be modest.

"the best camera possible": I'd wondered if there were still people using 'large format cameras' and found this maker:
    "Intrepid Camera Co. has been designing and producing Large Format Cameras for the last three years. But with over 1000 cameras shipped to happy customers, we set our sights on something a little bigger. Introducing the Intrepid 8x10, the most affordable and lightest production 8x10 Camera ever."
    intrepid-8x10-camera-an-affordable-large-format-ca

' The man who shot Tutankhamun ':
    'Margaret Mountford travels to Egypt's Valley of the Kings to discover the story of an unsung hero of British photography - Harry Burton, the man whose images of the Tutankhamun excavation created a global sensation in the 1920s.'

The above 60 minute documentary reveals the quality of image that can only be created with a large format camera, but, the best camera possible - for what I want to do, I think it's going to be the iPhone X Pro when it's released.
    Regardless of limitations, what's captivated me is its size and everything it Can do, and it fits in my shirt pocket.

5. Photoshop, I used to do some pro photography (wildlife) and video production, editing.

I'd always go for the DSLR however it hugely depends on the subject. Otherwise a friend has a Google pixel (possibly 2) and he raves about it.

Prints you can shoot with anything providing they are soft image.I used to get a lot past Alamy etc. using a fractal resolution enhancer plugin.

The one I would like to play with for a but but just for fun is the Light L16.

6. 'Light L16 Review' - 2 thumbs down + more in the Comments
    https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/light-l16/light-l16A.HTM[/QUOTE]

I know but the idea is neat, it seems they have fallen down on the software side. I used to do a lot of panoramic work and HDR back around 2000 before it was much of a thing. I adapted some astronomy software to combine images from several 5MP shots up 20-50 taken millimeters apart.

It is the tech guy in me that wants to play with it is all.

But one can achieve anything digitally. Even if your phone does not have dual cameras (monochrome + colour etc) like the Moto etc, there are scores of apps like Afterfocus which will achieve similar or just Photoshop. One can truly do a lot with a good smartphone, even pro level work however a DSLR will probably win most battles.

7. mlawson71

mlawson71

If we're talking about high-end devices I'd definitely prefer a camera over a cellphone.
    Then again, I am such an amateur when it comes to photography that neither would make a difference in my hands. :(

8. In the gun world, there are similar tradeoffs between size and capability. A larger, more capable camera is not very useful if you don't have it with you when a shot presents itself.

#10     Jun 13, 2018