Daytrading software for Macs?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by ericg27, Jun 21, 2007.

1. nravo

nravo

I can't even place a market order or a stop, just LMT orders. IB's response: We're working on it, and we'll get around to it. I mean how can a broker operate in this regulatory environment with such screwy software? Amazing. Short IBKR.

#31     Dec 6, 2007
  2. Wow that sucks...

I just entered a mkt order and attached a stop to the order.

Not sure what's going on with your system.

#32     Dec 6, 2007
  3. nravo

nravo

IB: Sucks beyond belief. Has gotten much worse since they went public for some reason. I'm looking into Tradestation over the holidays. Hate paying more. But I mean if you can't even place orders or get out of trades, and your broker can't fix it, your broker is incompetent and if I keep them then I am an idiot. I wouldn't use IB for other people's money, to be honest. So, I have to wonder why I keep a hunk of mine there. It's like an experimental broker or something. They are going to crash big time one of these days and screw a lot of customers -- and AGs from a whole bunch of states, like Connecticut, are going to be on their ass big time.

#33     Dec 6, 2007
  4. Or. heaven forbid, you could just buy a PC and be happy :)

I hate to say that, Being a diehard mac veteran. But you gotta do what works for you. If Java and Leopard sucks and downgrading to 10.4.10 is too much of a problem for you (even installing on a sep partition) then you should buy a PC

The issues burning you are not IB issues. They are Apple Java implementation issues. I tested a few other Java apps and am receiving results consistent with the issues evidencing themselves with TWS.

#34     Dec 6, 2007
  5. nravo

nravo

To be honest I used Windows and IB from 2002 to 2005 and had bugs, too. Just not as many and not as bad. But in my previous 8 years or electronic trading at Aufhauser, Waterhouse and some others the amount of problems never come close to what I have experienced at IB. It seems that because of the low price we just expect bugs and deal with them and give IB a pass or the benefit of the doubt. If TOS had futures and Forex, I would probably already be with them. I heard good things about Tradestation. So, yes, a move to Windows, sadly, is probably in the offing. If you are a trader, it is still a Windows world. But IB -- you get what you pay for and my accounts are growing to a point where I have to be more responsible. If you're running a lot of money or OPM that you are liable for, I would think twice about tying it up with them. It's just not prudent given their track record on tech support. You don't want to find out the way I am currently. Imagine getting sued by a client (granted your boilerplate should protect you but nothing is perfect) because you lose money because of an IB tech problem. And the lawyer grilling you asks, "Were you aware of past tech problems with your broker?" You're going to look like a fool or a knave hanging on to a system that you knew could screw clients. Think about it.

#35     Dec 6, 2007
  6. I am in total agreement with you.

At the end of the day, you have to do what works BEST for YOU. Not me or anyone else.

#36     Dec 6, 2007
  7. nravo

nravo

And I just got my November statement -- and parts are unreadable, trades are missing, sections cut off. A complete joke. And people think this is a professional tool?

#37     Dec 6, 2007
  8. LOL. I can almost concur with the statement issues. They are oftimes unreadable. I was pleased when they allowed me the ability to customize it to the way I think and see.

#38     Dec 6, 2007
  9. nravo

nravo

No I mean parts are literally missing, and yes I know how to open and customize the statements. This is a new glitch. Some other IB traders are complaining on another thread.

#39     Dec 6, 2007
  10. Sorry hadn't run into it yet. Haven't audited my statement this month so I may have missed that one.

#40     Dec 6, 2007