David Einhorn down 18.3% in first half of 2018

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by learner88, Jul 31, 2018.

1. I wonder what has changed in the market for brilliant Einhorn to be down so badly in 2018. 18.3% is terrible, particularly for an Ace manager.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...rying-to-end-fund-losses-letter-idUSKBN1KL2SB

Greenlight lost 18.3 percent in the first six months of 2018, Einhorn wrote in a letter to investors seen by Reuters. Tesla shares, which rose 29 percent in the last quarter, was the fund’s “second biggest loser” during that period, he added.

Hours after sending the letter, Einhorn notified investors that the fund’s returns fell again in July. After a dip of 0.4 percent this month, the fund is down 18.6 percent for the year, an investor told Reuters.

2. dozu888

dozu888

luck runs out.... simple as that..

nobody can beat the QQQ.

3. Warren Buffett, George Soros, Stan Druckenmiller, Ray Dalio, Jim Simons did beat QQQ with their long-term track record.

Peter10 likes this.
  4. Don't have the numbers here. Over the long term since his fund's inception, I think Einhorn still beats S&P500 and Nasdaq100. He is after all, a billionaire.

Peter10 likes this.
  5. dozu888

dozu888

I haven't checked the others, but Warren has been left in the dust by the QQQ, by a country mile.

6. I should be more specific. I mean long-term performance since inception. Pretty sure Mr Buffett beats the QQQ since inception, since he is among the richest man in the world today.

7. dozu888

dozu888

all-time since inception, yes Warren wins with 20% to QQQ's 13%

but, the earlier years were too easy... it was like the turtle traders made a killing in the commodities.

the past 10 years are likely a better predictor of the foreseeable future.. Warren has been on par with SP.. the BRKA is too big to outperform anymore.

helpme_please likes this.
  8. rvince99

rvince99

9. Today, the CTAs are having their own serious drawdowns like value investors such as David Einhorn. Since 2009, CTAs have been performing embarrassingly with long drawdowns.

It has been an issue that has long puzzled me. Any elite-traders here who can shed a clue?

10. It seems "that's all you got". Therefore, as you have nothing to add to discussions on trading, I'm putting you ON IGNORE!!

#10     Aug 1, 2018