Data Scraping Barchart.com

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by MoneyMatthew, Oct 20, 2016.

1. I wrote some software myself to data scrape intraday data from barchart.com. On November 1st data will no longer be contained in the html. There is a totally new build of the site coming soon.

I wrote a program to scrape the new site but it is slow as hell and crude to say the least. I guess I should just be happy that I have a solution.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me a better way to scrape https://beta.barchart.com ????

All of my methods were proprietary, I have no knowledge of the more mainstream ways to data scrape with Beautiful Soup, Selenium,Mapit.PY ect..ect..

I am just curious if any of you wizards out there can pull data from it? Thanks.

2. Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Just pay for the data like everyone else.

3. just21

just21

Barchart data is available on www.quandl.com but you have to pay for it. There is a lot of free data on www.quandl.com what are you scraping?

4. just21

just21

5. Thanks for the advise everyone. Buying data is the best solution but I am so used to getting data for free :) I need to update my tech skills. I should be using APIs instead of building everything from scratch. I was basically just treating the website as one big "string" and parsing the unstructured data from there.

BTW...getting EOD data for free is no big deal. I was scraping intraday one minute OHLC data. I think the one minute data is harder to get for free.

6. EOD data you can download it from a demo interactive brokers account I think.

reqhistoricaldata()

7. Probably intended to cut down on abuse by robots/scrapers.

8. Yeah you are right. I was not hitting the site with HTTP requests non-stop. I was grabbing everything in a single pass. I don't feel like it was "abuse" but I understand that there is a fine line between high usage and abuse.

I guess any form of automation is a form of abuse. They intend for you to view ads ect...

9. Anything you do will stop working after some time. Just buy...

#10     Oct 22, 2016