Cry for me Argentina

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Wheezooo, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Wheezooo

Wheezooo

DallasCowboysFan and Nobert like this.
  2. zdreg

zdreg

Probably it wont end well but for today the Argentine stock market is up 2%+.

murray t turtle likes this.
  3. %% Good up trend;
    except for the huge taxes +down gap in ARGT. ARGT is a much better uptrend/dividend than DB or dividend than TSLA................................................................................................

4. Wheezooo

Wheezooo

I was there the first week of July. The Merval was 41,000 and I was exchanging dollars at 44.
    Today the Merval is 38,600 and the exchange rate is 60.
    -32% purchasing power.

YTD 31,000/37.65 vs 38,600/60 - 22% purchasing power.

By my math - I'll stick with OUCH!

murray t turtle likes this.
  5. Daal

Daal

From the article: “We have to discourage savings in a currency that we don’t make, which is dollars.”. I laughed out loud

Wheezooo likes this.
  6. d08

d08

At those inflation levels, it means close to nothing.

7. m22au

m22au

And that rate of USD/ARS 60 just refers to the official rate.
    Dolar Blue is currently trading at about USD/ARS 75.

38,600 / 75 = 514.67 or a 37% decline in USD terms.

MoreLeverage likes this.
  8. Wheezooo

Wheezooo

You just can't make this shit up... Like watching five year olds run a country. This is from their governments website, posted yesterday.

Crazy Arg.jpg

9. Overnight

Overnight

Translate, please. I don't read Portugese or whatever that is.

10. Wheezooo

Wheezooo

Spanish. How do you call yourself an American and not speak Spanish??? :D

They instituted 10 different exchange rates for USD depending on what is being exchanged.

The official traded exchange rate is on the 60's but if a citizen wants dollars, that's 80. If you have grains, well somehow, I have no idea how, that's in the 40's. I mean this adds a whole new dimension to bat shit insane.
    They're going to make themselves the next Venezuela. Every day they come up with something crazier than the day before.

... But think of all the arbs... To get dollars you first buy grains... Then... Oh God what a fuckin mess.

#10     Dec 24, 2019
    luisHK likes this.