Crude Newbie

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by SteveA, Jul 26, 2017.

1. SteveA

SteveA

I am an experienced Emini trader of the ES and NQ. I am looking at the CL as a possibility for me.

Can you guys who trade the Equity Index Futures and the CL give me an idea what it is like. I am starting to believe much of what I hear and read... that the ES and NQ are now dominated by the Algo's and it is just damm frustrating.

I appreciate the input

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

What is your basic strategy for ES/NQ.

3. algofy

algofy

It all damn frustrating in their own ways!

4. Overnight

Overnight

CL has kind of died for daily movement fun. You're 6 months too late out of the gate. Anticipate more volatility 9 months from now.

The RB/HO bits? Fascinating price action. Eye them, watch them. More bang for buck on those than CL, IMHO.

And as far as EQ/ES being dominated by algos? Dude, what...You think CL is not immune to it? *chuckle*. Everyone is infected by algo/HFT, man.

Do not let any of that dissuade you or your entry/exits. It is all fluffer-nutter-butter or whatever. Just do what you do, and you will be fine. No worries.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.
  5. Gotcha

Gotcha

Troll alert!

There is no way that an experienced ES and NQ trader would have these stupid questions. If you're experienced, you've been trading for years, which means you already know all about the algos.

And if you're experienced, you have surely already looked at CL. It would take an experienced trader no time at all to look at a chart and see what he needs to see for himself in order to gauge how it moves.

And most importantly, if you're an experienced trader, you would never need to come to ET and ask other strangers what trading the CL is like.

Seriously, who is creating all these dumb aliases and wasting everyone's time???

6. MACD

MACD

The most important criteria for trading any market is Liquidity -- determined. in part. by the bid/ask spread.
    So my favorite futures have large tick value and dollars per point. CL is a great one. $1000 for a one point move.
    $10 for a one Penny move. So that is so much greater than NQ or ES. Next one must have a method to trade it successfully. What time frames, how to hedge as opposed to using stops, best times to trade, etc.

Of course, since you have been trading the ES and NQ -- you have your own proven method and trade plan.

As far as HFT, I consider that an asset not a liability to trading futures. Provides liquidity. Get paid if the market moves UP or Down or even Sideways. Talk, of course, is cheap, and lots of that here at E.T. So you are in for a lot of confusing and mostly meaningless posts to your Thread.

SteveA --welcome to Elite and thanks for starting a thread about CL.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  7. SteveA

SteveA

thankx for the input.... I am just watching live market and applying my method. I am a big fan of not just stops, but preset target for profit. CL makes these $.10-15 moves alot during the day.

8. MACD

MACD

Yes and that 10 to 15 cent moves are of course $100 to $150 as it is $10 a penny.

9. SteveA

SteveA

Yup

10. MACD

MACD

I do not use stops but do use targets. Support and Resistance points are quite reliable on CL so Targets are of value.

#10     Jul 27, 2017