Covered Calls

Discussion in 'Options' started by EnglishTeach, Jul 20, 2012.

1. I'd like to ask for stock suggestions for covered calls. No problem if it's called away. Planning on selling 2 or3 month atm or slightly otm. Main goal is to beat dividend and/or interest rate returns.

Not asking for long lectures on why or why not use covered calls or how to max out... just looking for a few ticker symbols to check out.

Thanks for any ideas.

2. A long lecture isn't needed, just one sentence. Initiating a CC on newly bought stock severely caps potential gains while still exposing you to the downside.

:)

3. Just stick to SPY

forget other stocks.

I sell puts and covered calls on SPY

4. Never said I would be purchasing buy-writes. Purchasing the stock and selling the call, will almost always for me, be on different days.

SPY calls would be less risk, but not really as much return as I am expecting.

Any other?

5. Hrm, I take that back about the SPY. Looks like a roughly 11 to 14% return if your timing is decent.

6. So far I'm looking at JPM, ADM, PFE (but low volume), LLY, WOR, WFC (but seems overbought), SMP, POT, APL, or MSFT.

7. Keyword: if. What if your timing isn't decent?

Good luck with your quest.
    :)

8. <<< I'd like to ask for stock suggestions for covered calls. No problem if it's called away. Planning on selling 2 or3 month atm or slightly otm. Main goal is to beat dividend and/or interest rate returns. >>>

As I posted this morning under MY OPTION TRADES, I sold puts on $47.5 K for August.
    Credit $0.90
    Annualized % return.... 23 - 24%

If it gets put to me, it pays a nice dividend, and I'd be just as happy to sell a covered call on it, while collecting the dividend.
    And I really like it's tech support in the $47.50 - $48 range,.... per the 2 year chart.

The next time it tests the $47.50 - $47.60 range, you could get the same $0.90 doing a buy/write.
    Or just pick what ever price you like and sell a call at your leisure.

Company has too much debt, but overall this is a very good price for "K", both fundamentally and technically.
    Plus it's a very good dividend for such a quality company.
    However, if commodity prices continue to rise, the stock could come under additional pressure,... assuming the value buyers don't step in the next time it test $47.50.

9. When I was doing Covered Calls, I would go to callpix dot com

I also did some CCs on FAS... good premium, but risky.

I have left Naked Puts and Covered calls for Credit Spreads... The 4% this last month was nice,

Just trading NDX, RUT and some IWM

10. Altria (MO).

If you want a bit more diversification while still focusing on a particular sector, some of the State Street SPDR ETF are pretty liquid.

Things like: XLM, XLE, XLK, XLI, XLB, XLF, etc...

#10     Jul 20, 2012