Corporate Spot Bond Prices

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by HappyTrader, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Anyone know any service that will number crunch the spot rate for corporate bonds (for a specific company).

I.e., if I want to know today's yield for IBM's 10 year bond, I just punch in 'IBM' '10 Year' and it number crunches 3.25% (or whatever it is).

Thank you.

2. H2O

H2O

The Bloomberg terminal allows you to interpolate any data point on a corporate curve for which they have data. Not exactly what you're looking for, but I guess this is as close as you will get..

3. Tim Smith

Tim Smith

+1 to what @h20 says.

Bloomberg is absolutely the "go-to" tool for fixed interest products.

That's how Bloomberg started out and it remains very much a strong core element of the product.

4. Sounds great. Now I just need a 95% off coupon for Bloomberg Terminal and I'm in there :)

I don't recall Eikon (or MetaStock Xenith) doing it, anyone can recall?

5. What broker do you use? I might have misunderstood your question, but most will show the various rate calculation:
    Coupon
    Yield to a maturity
    Yield to Worst
    Etc. based on the current prices. I know Etrade calculates it based on both bid and ask.

6. truetype

truetype

I don't understand this, and similar, threads. Anyone who's genuinely trading corporates (or whatever) will already know how to get pricing.

7. Perhaps I'm not trading corporates sufficiently to already know this? :(

Getting bond prices for existing bonds is easy enough. I can pull up a list of bonds for IBM and look at their coupons/yields/etc. That's not a problem.

The problem is if I want the 10-year (or 5-year) spot rate. So I can compare it with today's US 10-year/5-year/etc. Treasury rates. IBM might have a bond that is due in 11 years or 9 years, but not guaranteed to have one due in 10 years on the day I'm looking at it.

Granted I can then take whatever bond yields are being advertised and compute the spot rate on my own, but I would rather have a tool that does it for me. That way I can look in 'real time' (depending on how well trades the bonds are) what their yield is compared to the US Treasury (or foreign soverign bonds) yields during market activity.

Thank you.

8. JackRab

JackRab

Interactive Brokers... And doesn't every trading platform calculate the yield? You have to lookup the actual product though...