Confusion with fixed futures commissions

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Radiohead, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Radiohead

Radiohead

Greetings community,

I am confused about IB's futures commissions with the fixed plan. Their website seems to indicate that the flat rate (0.85 per contract) includes exchange fees but IB is telling me something different over the phone. Their website says "Our transparent fixed pricing includes our low broker commission plus exchange, regulatory and clearing fees". That makes me think those fees are included. If I said I was bringing "a fruit salad to your houseparty that includes apples plus oranges and bananas", you wouldn't expect that I meant that you need to provide the oranges and bananas and I'm really only bringing apples. Hopefully you guys see what I mean. Maybe I spoke with an inexperienced rep. I included screenshot of the applicable part of their website. Can anyone help?
    https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=1590&p=futures1

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  2. Overnight

Overnight

It is your misinterpretation of the wording.

Their fees include their low commissions. That's it. The "PLUS" bit means they add those on top.

If all were included, it would read..."Our transparent Fixed pricing for futures in US markets includes our low broker commission AND exchange, regulatory and clearing fees."

drm7 likes this.
  3. Radiohead

Radiohead

What's the point of the fixed plan for futures then? The tiered plan starts at the same 0.85+fees and can only get lower with volume..

4. H2O

H2O

The fixed rate includes overnight fees, while the tiered pricing doesn't.

5. I agree with this that the fixed rate includes overnight fees.