Computer fan too noisey......continually runs at high speed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by achilles28, Mar 2, 2017.

1. achilles28

achilles28

Seems a BIOS reflash is the only way to solve it?

Dell T7500 running 2 x Nvidia Quadro 4000 cards.

The cards run hot, which I suspect why the fan is constantly running at high speed.

No major heat problems. I leave the case open to dissipate

2. just21

just21

Replace the graphics cards with either two nvidia nvs 295/300 or one nvidia nvs 440/450 with no fans for much less than $100 on ebay. The nvs line are multi monitor 2d cards and run cool. Upgrade the bios of the pc.

3. Handle123

Handle123

I believe these cards run rather warm, it could be one or both are going?, Fan will continue to run even if you flash BIOS if Video cards temps are going up. When I used nothing but Desktops, each had 5 fans inside, and used something like this.

https://www.uline.com/Grp_313/Pallet-Racks

But it was smaller, I wanted it off the ground to get better air flow, had them in different room with it's own small AC. In the summer in El Paso area it gets above 100 degrees for weeks and having six Desktops going was HOTTTT in that room without extra AC turned to 60, the central air, well I didn't want to turn into popsicle.

beginner66 likes this.
  4. If you think that it is the video card which is running hot, then why would reflashing the PC's BIOS solve things? If the video cards are "old", then it could be that the heat paste between the graphics chip and the cooling fan is not working properly anymore. Does the Nvidia software show you the on-chip temperature, on these video chips?

5. lovethetrade

lovethetrade Guest

6. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

7. The only times my rigs have "run hot" was when there was a software problem which made the CPU work at nearly 100%.

You can download and run SIV (free)... it will tell you temps of CPU and GPUs.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  8. Stymie

Stymie

Use the software to monitor temperatures and determine source of excessive heat. The next step is to vacuum all dust from board and fan if generally too hot. Then put new paste between all chips and fan to make sure cooling is effective if source of heat. If this is a new rig and not running too hot, you may simply have a loud fan.. Next step is to look at how much processing power you need - are you trading and mining bit coins concurrently? Are you over spec'd? Some configurations are always running hot and may want to look at different means of cooling vs normal fan...

9. I simply cleaned out the dust inside around the fan and vent intake and that helped a lot.

10. 1shooter

1shooter

He never clarified what fan is running hot?

That would be interesting to know i have five in my case Plus some on the motherboard.

Case fans, cpu fan. With a bios re-flash sound like a bad cpu fan. You can get a oversized cpu fan with a large heatsink and fix it that way!

Need more info though!

#10     Mar 2, 2017