Competitiveness Report

Discussion in 'Economics' started by dealmaker, Oct 17, 2018.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

Competitiveness Report

The U.S. is the world's most competitive nation, according to a new World Economic Forum report. This is the first time the country topped the rankings since the financial crisis. The other inhabitants of the top five are Singapore, Germany, Switzerland and Japan. Fortune

ETJ likes this.
  2. ironchef

ironchef

Thank you for the thread and the link.

I do find it hard to understand the criteria of competitiveness: China is not even in the top 20 yet we worry so much about China, even start a trade war with it?

dealmaker likes this.
  3. The article has a link to the actual report: http://www3.weforum.org/docs/GCR2018/05FullReport/TheGlobalCompetitivenessReport2018.pdf
    This report gives a brief analysis on China's score on page #27. The size of their economy is large. But they have room for improvement on aspects such as "innovation", "institutional framework", "promoting competition" and "inefficiencies in the labor market".

ironchef and dealmaker like this.
  4. ironchef

ironchef

I actually read the report. Just that I do not agree with their criteria and conclusion about China's ranking. To me the most compelling factors on competitiveness is cost structure, speed and rate of change, saving, investment.... But who am I to argue about economics?

Best regards,

5. Sure, if you change the parameters you score you will end up with a different ranking.

From the parameters you mention I get the impression that you rate competitiveness from the viewpoint of manufacturing, i.e. producing goods, as being highly important. My impression from that report is that it does not so much emphasize manufacturing, but more the conditions for technological innovation (e.g. research and product development) and the ease of setting up new companies.