Company fundaments API

Discussion in 'Trading' started by smcoder, May 1, 2019.

1. smcoder

smcoder

Hi,

I'm looking for a market API that provides US company fundaments such as company metrics, and full year and quarterly statements such as income, cash flow, balance sheet, earnings, financials. I'm fine with a paid service (e.g. $50/mo) as my experience is that free often means no guarantee of service availability. I searched around and found a few such APIs and following are my comments on them
    • Quandl - good number of daily calls allowed (750k), haven't found an API bundle that provides quarterly statements (the "Sharadar Core US Equities Bundle" dore example provides only full year statements)
    • EOD Historical Data - good number of daily calls allowed (100k), does not look much reliable in their data (often fields are empty, e.g. current/estimated EPS)
    • IEX cloud - data unreliable and ridiculous monthly "messages" consumption rules
    • Intrinio - provides both reported and standardized fundamentals but only 5000 API calls allowed per day
    Still looking for the right data provider. Any suggestion welcome.

Thanks
    sm

2. ZBZB

ZBZB

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  3. smcoder

smcoder

Thanks @ZBZB, Zacks APIs are available on quandl and I've seen them but their subscription costs somewhat beyond what I'm willing to spend :D

Any other data provider you would suggest?

Thanks
    sm

4. ZBZB

ZBZB

5. finviz.com (select Elite tab)

6. smcoder

smcoder

@arbs-r-us thank you.

I'm testing out finviz elite but I was shocked realizing how little reliable is their data. In fact I'm growingly perplexed at how we often take decisions based on completely unreliable data provided by very well known sites. Take a look for yourself at the screenshots for stock ROSE before my writing them to report an obvious error on the EPS Q/Q for this stock and after my mail.

Let me know what you think about it.

Thank
    sm

7. smcoder

smcoder

@ZBZB I had found xignite.com but I hate those companies that do not expose clear pricing but ask to be contacted. I believe they target companies/startups and not private investors and if so clearly costs would be out of reach.

simfin.com is another one I also found. They are free and allow up to 2000 calls x day.

Thanks
    sm

8. jharmon

jharmon

Only the institutional-level fundamental historical data from Compustat is any good. The problem is that events such as mergers, demergers, reorgs, domicile changes, changes in fiscal year boundaries, complex capital structures (convertible securities etc.) really mess things up. If you're only analyzing a few companies, you can normalize it yourself but if you want to analyze thousands of companies for the purposes of ranking, then it's a "75% OK, because companies are fairly standardized, but 25% garbage". The problem is identifying the garbage - it's not obvious.

9. Well, that's rather shocking.. Every single number was changed, not just EPS Q/Q.

10. jharmon

jharmon

Unfortunately this is the case for retail-level fundamental data. Nobody is actually any good.

#10     May 2, 2019