Coffee futures and options question

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by nravo, Jul 26, 2009.

1. nravo

nravo

I looked at the ICE hours for electronically traded coffee futures and it appears there is a Sunday night session that starts at 6 ends at 11:59 and trading doesn't start up again until 9 a.m. US time. Do I have that right?

I also see sessions that start at 3:30 a.m. (EST) Which is correct, or is the latter outcry only or vice versa?

Options on Arabica? Electronically, what hours would they be available on IB?

Thanks and apologies in advance for the newbie questions, I am indeed new to softs.

2. heech

heech

I believe the hours listed in the left most column here is correct:

https://www.theice.com/productguide/ProductDetails.shtml?specId=15

Please note that several of the softs have had trading hours adjusted this year, for reasons I don't understand. (I know KC/CT have, at least.) I have historical data at least that shows you might have been correct previously..

But as of now, KC futures starts trading electronically 3:30 AM EST. There are no more KC futures pits.

Options open outcry is 8 - 13:30 EST.

3. nravo

nravo

Thanks. Anyone know if the options are available on IB's platform?

4. heech

heech

I think it's very likely the options are available. All of the soft options are available on every other electronic platform I've looked at.

But it's probably not going to be useful for you. My experience is that electronic liquidity is basically nil, and there are never any ask/bids. I've only filled via the pit.

5. nravo

nravo

Any IB traders know if or how I can get pit orders filled electronically. RFQ?

6. heech

heech

FWIW, when I submitted a ticket in TWS asking that question... I was basically told it's not possible. If you find a different answer, would really like to know.

7. nravo

nravo

Will do. I just submitted a ticket, incidentally. I have to admit it is getting frustrating FOs trading electronically. It's great that brokers like IB offer access, but it is pretty academic when there is no volume to speak of, and you are forced to open-outcry. Lots of FOs like this, unfortunately.

8. nravo

nravo

Ok, its a bit after 3:30 a.m. ET and the volume on September KC on IB using NYBOT (which I assume is ICE) is like 1 contract bidding and 7 asking and a spread of like a third of a cent. Is the volume low because it is the pre-open-outcry electronic trading session and things will pick up around 9, or is this as good as it gets? Does the spread improve?

9. heech

heech

On the future, you mean?

The spread can get pretty wide early on, definitely a lot of the volume doesn't come in until the morning. The size on the ask/bid is always pretty small, though.

10. nravo

nravo

Well, like no change at 11:30 a.m. still only a handful of contracts bid and ask, like 1 and 35 and fluctuating between 1 and 1. Is this the way it is for coffee on IB and NYBOT? I mean this is a joke of a volume.

#10     Jul 27, 2009