CNBC gurus. How bad are they?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Free Thinker, Feb 19, 2010.

1. close

Rukeyser was famous for his pun-filled humor, and for trying to get investors to ignore the short term gyrations and think long term. In answering a letter on investing in a hairpiece manufacturer, he quipped that "if your money seems to be hair today and gone tomorrow, we'll try to make it grow back by giving the bald facts on how to get your investments toupee."[1]

#11     Feb 19, 2010
  2. #12     Feb 23, 2010
  3. pwrtrdr

pwrtrdr

Think that says volumes about CNBC having him on.

That and Becky kissing Warren's ass...

#13     Feb 23, 2010
  4. Rick Santelli Kicks ass. He is on now.

#14     Feb 23, 2010
  5. does anyone ever get actionable trading advice from Rick Santelli. sure its easy to come up with a populist rant every day but how useful is that?
    i dont know the answer just asking. has Rick Santelli ever made any money trading?

#15     Feb 23, 2010
  6. You guys still watch that stuff? (TMC) Turner Movie Classics will do wonders for one's piece of mind while trading.

#16     Feb 23, 2010
  7. jj69

jj69

I like both for their wit and energy and general mkt knowledge. When it comes to trading tho, Santelli is by far the worst "trader" on CNBC by a mile followed closely by Cashin. Santelli: called for oil bottom at 120s, called bear stearns low THE bottom and as we were cracking through it told viewers to look for opportunities to buy, was bullish bonds right at the dec 08 top, an uncanny fx reversal indicator, and on and on but generally a good hindsight chart analyst. Love the guy, but whatever he says on trading, just do the opposite if you're inclined to use his advice. I believe Art was looking for a major pullback ever since s&p 850 with every other week being a critical juncture for the markets. Love his wit&wisdom tho.

#17     Feb 23, 2010
  8. Interesting, it would be nice to validate your points since I don't think they are common knowledge.

I do remember Dec 08 when Cashin couldn't find a TA study to make sense of it he threw up his hands and said maybe astrology.

#18     Feb 23, 2010
  9. I just like the Populist rants :)

No one should be trading on what some Pundit on any TV channels says.

#19     Feb 23, 2010
  10. the rants are scripted:

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/02/persona-non-grata-at-cnbc/
    By Barry Ritholtz - February 24th, 2010, 8:21PM I had lunch the other day with several other analysts, strategists, money managers and economists, all of whom shall remain nameless.

All make frequent media appearances.

The conversation drifted over to CNBC. The consensus is everyone at the table wants to do less of it.

The reasons given:

-Producers try to tailor the discussion (“Be more Bullish/Bearish”);
    -Too time consuming;
    -Law of diminishing returns — the benefits are less and less each appearance;
    -Nuance has become a dirty word (“Pick a Letter to describe the economy”);
    -Last minute cancellations when “better” names become available;
    -Dumbing down of the discourse (One person called it “Foxification”)

#20     Feb 24, 2010