CME holiday schedule on MLK 2019?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by HobbyTrading, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Monday January 22nd is Martin Luther King day in the USA. As this is a holiday, are the stock exchanges closed. However, when I verified the CME website I found this schedule:

mlk.png

This schedule gives me the impression that there is a half day trading for equity, bitcoin, interest rate, FX, energy and metals products (calendar dates):
    Sunday start at 1700 CT until Monday 1200 CT (noon)
    Monday start at 1700 CT until Tuesday 1600 CT (regular schedule)

Is my interpretation correct that this MLK day is like a half day trading, with early close of the markets on Monday, closing at 1200 CT instead of the usual 1600 CT?

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. They

They

yes

3. MarkGroes

MarkGroes

<<Is my interpretation correct that this MLK day is like a half day trading, with early close of the markets on Monday, closing at 1200 CT instead of the usual 1600 CT?>>

No.
    There is a HALT at 1200 CT on Monday simply, not an early close (the Trade Date is Jan 22).

Read the footnote below the table carefully - Tuesday, January 22: Regular CME Group Globex close for all products

4. Can you explain me what the difference is between a HALT and a CLOSE?

5. MarkGroes

MarkGroes

HALT is an interruption in trading only, but CLOSE is the moment at the end of session when all transactions are considered made at the close price and the clearing procedure comes.

6. I see what you mean: it is indicated with the horizontal yellow bar at the top. So it seems that this trading session lasts longer (19 more active trading hours) than a regular trading session. Those traders whose trading strategies are based on the daily close prices can indeed take a longer rest. It makes me wonder what e.g. daytraders are going to do on MLK day (Monday)?

7. jharmon

jharmon

Clearly they are going to drink malk (with vitamin R)

8. MarkGroes

MarkGroes

depends on the religion they belong to... Jan21 Jews will celebrate Tu Bishvat, Buddhists - Mahayana New Year, Hindus - Thaipusam etc.:finger:

murray t turtle likes this.
  9. temnik

temnik

CME is just being extra-greedy and trying to squeeze in some fees on Monday. As if, with all those data fees etc, 63% operating margin is not enough

10. jharmon

jharmon

Margin isn't fees - it's a counterparty risk mitigation deposit held in trust.

#10     Jan 19, 2019