CME fee waiver question

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by DarthSidious, Jan 20, 2010.

1. I am hoping to get answers for both eSignal as well as DTN iqfeed.

eSignal Details

iqfeed Details

I am looking for details on what is covered and what is not. From another site. It is not clear if CL #F=1 is all I need to trade crude during RTH. What about CLH10 right now?

Basically, a detailed list of products that qualifies would be very helpful and appreciated.

CME
    All eminis? fx products? eurodollars? All options on all of them?

CBOT
    All interest rates?

COMEX
    All metals?

NYMEX
    All energy? And all spreads?

I am using TradeStation, and are otherwise very happy with them. But if this knocks off $61 * 4 exchanges per month, I switch today!

Also, I tried eSignal once and didn't exactly like the interface. What additional software, if any, is required to use eSignal with tradestation 2000i? Would it be possible to very easily update all my symbols in the morning if my machine was switched off during night? (Not is eSignal, but in whatever charting software I choose to use)

2. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

All the symbols included with the CME Globex fee-waiver package (over 6000 symbols) are listed within our built-in Symbol Look-up search engine. We don't maintain complete physical lists but rather rely upon the database to maintain the symbol lists, exchange codes, etc.

In simple terms, if the contract trades on Globex, the symbol will be available in the fee-waived package. If a symbol trades on both Globex and during open outcry, then only the symbol that represents the Globex activity is included.

Since it doesn't sound like you have access to the product, I'd suggest you give us a call and we can look-up the key symbols you're interested in.

Thanks.

3. nywst

nywst

I am also interested in CME Fee-Waiver program.
    I use Mirus right now. Zenfire data feed really sucks.

My question: for CME Fee-Waiver program customers, is data feed of esignal Zenfire?

Thanks!

4. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

Its a con.

The fee waiver is only for trading platforms through named (smaller) brokers.

1/ ALL QUALITY TRADING PLATFORMS LIKE TT DONT CHARGE FOR DATA

2/ NO EXCHANGE CHARGES FOR DATA IF YOU ARE TRADING ON THAT DATA, INCLUDING CME

3/ ALL DATA SHOULD COME DIRECT TO YOUR PLATFORM VIA THE EXCHANGE, NOT A 3RD PARTY PROVIDER LIKE DTN/IQ

id be interested if someone can clarify the rules from DTN/IQ

it seems to me, this is just some favoritism from the cme towards some of the smaller fly by night brokers.

i wouldnt change my broker just to save a few bucks on data. no serious trader would - especially if it meant more latency via a 3rd party like DTN/IQ

i must be wrong somewhere because this just seems stoopid.

5. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

Few comments here:

1. That's because someone like TT has the fee-waivers in place already.

2. Not nec true. Pit-traded data is rarely given at no charge and if it is, the broker is most likely paying for it on your behalf (because they make enough money from you in other ways). Also not true for trading equities. Someone is paying those exchange fees, albeit only a few dollars for non-pro NYSE and NASD.

3. Exchanges do provide data directly but only for the instruments they cover. Vendors like us exist since we collect feeds from different exchanges, process it (for storage for ex) and then disseminate to end-users. Same thing goes for Broker platforms. They receive data from the exchanges and pass it along to customers.

Brokers have had these fee-waivers in place for quite sometime. We were able to finally get it ourselves by virtue of our relationship with these brokers and our trade integration w/in eSignal.

Thanks.

6. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

thanks for the reply scott.

no exchange will charge for data to trade on. none. it doesnt matter what platform i am using, if that platform has written to the exchange's api for orders, then the pricing api is also a given. it would be like a shop charging for entry. it would be counter productive. it doesnt happen.

I guess the only exception would be if you buy a 3rd party trading app, take the prices from a vendor, and just route orders to a broker, rather than getting prices from a broker from one of their apps. i cant see the advantage of this though as the broker couldnt give a rats ass if your 3rd party app goes down cos its not their direct responsibility. tell me if im wrong. youd be better off taking prices and orders in to a fix api in to one of the brokers platforms.

i dont know about pit contracts - but its kind of dead anyway. if you trade in a pit still from upstairs, chances are you are doing size and will phone down for a quote anyway. as for equities - like you say, the charge is peanuts, so probably given away by any decent broker and made back on execution fees.

i can see the valid reason to charge for data if its for charting, or a quote page in reception to an office, as that data isnt directly generating revenue for the exchange. and, i can see the value of aggregation services that companies like e-sig provide for this. however, if your trading on that data (ie its going into a platform capable of executing orders on that data), then there should be no charge.

eg i very much doubt (never used it) if you would pay for data if using strategy runner as you can execute from the platform - someone tell me if i am wrong.

7. So I'm not generally a tin foil hat kind of guy, but... It seems that the required plugin gives eSignal an electronic conduit into your IB account.

Anyone from eSignal care to comment?

8. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

The integration does provide a connection into your brokerage acct for display purposes. We don't save or log any of that information though.

Thanks.