Chart Trader

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by hurricane_sh, Mar 6, 2020.

1. I find it hard to scalp trade with TWS, not sure if it's just me. For example, is it possible to setup the following order with Chart Trader? Ideally with a hot-key or one mouse click.

1. Buy (or sell) stop 3 ES contracts.
    2. Attach a bracket order of 2 contracts.
    3. Attach another bracket order (different profit target and stop loss) for the remaining 1 contract.

Transmit the order automatically.

Thanks!

damon_achey likes this.
  2. I was not able to set up something like that in TWS. In the end I made a program and have it submit the orders via the API upon my command. After which the orders were visible in TWS and I could modify them if I so wished.

hurricane_sh likes this.
  3. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

Guys,

really, don't do it. IB - data is not realtime but a snapshot feed. You could as well just flip a coin.

4. tdlrtl3

tdlrtl3

Wait, and please forgive my ignorance but when IB states I am paying for realtime data it's actually not and is just a snapshot?

5. IB does not provide tick-by-tick data. They aggregate the datastream and send you an update several times per second. The update rate depends on the instrument. See table below.

snapshot.png

tdlrtl3 likes this.
  6. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

Correct.
    IB data is not usable for intraday trading

tdlrtl3 likes this.
  7. newbie-ap

newbie-ap

I have IBKR Chart Trader setup with button to allow me to click a position chart and also create a template bracket order with a -1% for the stop and +2% for the profit target (roughly to create a 2:1 reward:risk ration)

8. I think I should post a follow-up. I switched to ampfutures, they offer multi-charts for free, a great trading software for scalpers. AMP also has very good margins for small traders.

9. TWS is not natural to add oco orders. With MultiCharts, I can define different strategies, switch between them with one mouse click.

10. kakao

kakao

I am really shocked that IB's "real time data" is not real time... I am paying more than 150 Dollars for month for the fake "real time data". But apart of that, i am really not happy with the speed of TWS. It is like a torture to give an order... Everytime i click to a stock, i am waiting like 5-6 secs to load chart and book trader.

Because of the slowness of the booktrader, i lost 100 dollars today. It was so laggy, that i could not click to the right field on the book trader and sold my shares cheaper... :(

#10     Mar 31, 2020
    tdlrtl3 likes this.