CFD trading and potential losses

Discussion in 'Forex' started by mav120, Apr 18, 2021.

1. mav120

mav120

Hello,

I am trying to understand losses on CFD trading for practice, can someone please shine some light on what my maximum loss would be if I shorted $10,000 of a CFD share using 1:5 (20%) leverage? I am starting with a $2000 initial deposit.

Thank you

2. ZBZB

ZBZB

Infinite, the share price could go to infinity.

3. Nobert

Nobert

4. El Trado

El Trado

Depends where you are located. If you are in Europe, your loss is capped at your initial deposit. It might be different in other markets.

Nobert likes this.
  5. ZBZB

ZBZB

That is incorrect.

6. Snuskpelle

Snuskpelle

I assume that he was sloppy and meant European Union/ESMA - was it that you remarked about or something else?

7. ZBZB

ZBZB

Maybe a few brokers offer it as a promotion, but usually losses are uncapped.

8. Goreseno

Goreseno

You just need to study how all this happens in order to avoid unpleasant consequences.

9. El Trado

El Trado

10. El Trado

El Trado

To follow the rules are considered a promotion? This has been part of the ESMA rules since August 1st 2018: "Negative balance protection on a per account basis. This will provide an overall guaranteed limit on retail client losses"

The details can be found here: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-con...2018.136.01.0050.01.ENG&toc=OJ:L:2018:136:TOC

#10     Apr 19, 2021