Cell Phone Booster

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Magna, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Magna

Magna Administrator

I have a Verizon 4G cell which works great around town in terms of reception but really sux at home. Was looking to pick up a cell phone booster for the home and wanted to see if anyone has experience with them — which ones work best, which ones to avoid, etc. Thx for any suggestions.

2. ET180

ET180

I don't have any experience with cell phone boosters, but my phone places calls over Wifi when I'm at home. Works well, except I notice more lag compared to cell.

3. comagnum

comagnum

I have the same problem. A good cell phone booster is expensive, has a lot of bulky ugly hardware and still may not be enough to give you good call quality.

One solution is to get a VoIP line - you can get a good crystal clear line with all kinds of features like Sim-ring, 3-way calling, selective call rejection, call recording, & VM for about $10 per month which includes long distance.

I Sim-ring my VoIP line to my cell, when at home I pick up the VoIP line. This way I never have to worry about missing a call or having a bad connection - redundancy.

WIFI is not a very good solution - this is not something a home business would do, the call quality is just to sketchy. I work in Telecom, so this is something I know about.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  4. vanzandt

vanzandt

Forward your cell to a landline?
    (*72)
    Pretty easy fix and more than likely your internet/cable package includes a landline.
    Google "Verizon *72".

DTB2 likes this.
  5. I used to have the same problem, but only at home. I kept complaining to sprint. They sent me an airave free which plugs into my cable modem and setup with my cell number. It acts as a personal cell tower with voip and it's own IP. My incoming and outgoing calls seamlessly use this device. If it wasn't for this device, i would have dropped sprint long ago.

6. RRY16

RRY16

Nice Basement Booster.

7. Magna

Magna Administrator

Thanks much to all responders.

I'm testing calls over Wi-Fi along with looking into boosters and VoIP. Don't think my internet package includes a "landline" but I will check with them and see what they offer. Airave looks pretty cool (if you have Sprint) but I came across the following — it won't affect you since you're already setup but will affect new attempts at activation:

"Effective March 31st 2018, Sprint is decommissioning all Airave activations. Any Airave's that are already active will continue to work, but this will be the last day for new Airave activation's, including BYOD devices."

viruscore1 likes this.
  8. T-Mobile gave me an expensive piece of equipment called a cellspot.

ES

9. I am living now in 3rd world country and never really experienced that thing, for sure signal can be low, but it because of their mobile operator simply removed those big towers for signal transmitting, how do you boost it ? Build another tower at home ?;)