Can't believe it - total P/L % missing?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Mike8040, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Mike8040

Mike8040

Really basic thing on every broker. This is ridiculous I need to ask or not been able to find in TWS. I asked the support since he was like, I have to ask and gone for 10mins I'm not confident his answer was true.

I want a column total P/L % per position (not the daily..) and not relative to the portfolio.

Is this really missing? How on earth? Whats wrong with IBKR?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    Shadetree42 likes this.
  2. It's called unrealized P&L or realized P&L.

murray t turtle likes this.
  3. Mike8040

Mike8040

As I wrote the total percentage of the position. I think the support was right it doesnt exist. Stunning...

4. I was of the impression Unrealized PnL (%) is the position PNL as a percentage of the position.

In any case, you can see this in the portfolio risk view as well.

But if support is telling you it doesn't exist, then they must be right, it's their code after all.

5. Yes, IB doesn't think you want to know the pct gain/loss for a given position. I've been requesting it since 2013, so good luck.

Also requested since 2013: a way to check your overall daily PnL (MtM) without having to navigate to the Portfolio tab. The phone app shows it prominently at the top of the screen, but TWS desktop buries it for some reason. They should add it to Trader Dashboard. LOL, I just found my features poll request from 7 years ago:

11/10/13:

Please add Total (mark-to-market) PnL as an account data item in the Trader Dashboard. Right now, you can get realized or unrealized, but not the total PnL as one number.

6. Mike8040

Mike8040

Yeah awful. Thanks for the confirmation. I was still looking for it as I couldnt believe it.
    Since actually working with TWS now I'm gonna switch either the Charting software or the broker at all.
    First I was convinced by the product variety and the customization ability. After digging deeper into their system I think IBKR guys clearly missing the words intuitive, practical and usability in their dictionary.

Sluggish, laggy and usability hostile is my impression after all. Unfortunately. I'm stunned..

7. I was searching for same and found this thread, so I though I post the solution here as I have just found it after some more research (just in case somebody else is looking for same ;) )

Right click on the "Unrealized PnL", look for "Formatting" where you will see a "Value ->" item. Change it to "Both" and you can see value and precentace.
    https://www.interactivebrokers.com/...ook/realtimeactivitymonitoring/profitloss.htm

Baron, arhnel, princeps73 and 4 others like this.
  8. Gareth321

Gareth321

I registered just to say THANK YOU!

princeps73 likes this.
  9. Jokus

Jokus

I registered just to say THANK YOU as well! :)

princeps73 likes this.
  10. Awesome, you rock! Also just registered to thank you and hopefully resolve similar roadbloacks in the future!

#10     Jan 12, 2022