C-SPAN

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by vanzandt, May 26, 2017.

1. vanzandt

vanzandt

How many of you watch it?

I have to be honest, I never really have. So pardon me if this is a several decades late eureka moment on my part... but there's an edge to be had by watching this stuff.

Recently, as I'm burnt out on CNBC, MSNBC, Fox, Bloomberg etc...I have just used it as background noise. Its actually pretty cool and I found myself paying attention to certain hearings.

Is it an immediate edge? No. But in a world of 24/7 news that is tailored to some network's (higher) agenda... watching various sub-committees of the House and Senate in action can not only be refreshing, (sometimes) entertaining, and informative... it gives one insight into whats coming down the pike legislatively before it goes mainstream. Especially if one knows how to read people.

For example... earlier this week they were doing Q&A's with various economists and academics about the pro's and con's of the border added tax. Great insights. It kind of lets you get your finger on the pulse of how these bozo's are thinking on a subject that will have direct effect on the markets as a whole when the subject goes mainstream.

Nothing big, but its a subtle edge. Every little bit counts. And it also applies to things in our everyday lives that may not move markets, but are still pertinent to where we are heading as a country. I wouldn't call it a crystal ball.... but its pretty cool. I bet the big hedge funds pay attention.

victorycountry and beerntrading like this.
  2. My degree was international relations--so I watched back then. I always liked the procedural aspects of it more than anything else (I'm a dork like that). I particularly liked the late night stuff when they would show British Parliament.

...I know none of that is relevant to getting an edge in the market though.

3. vanzandt

vanzandt

Hahah... The Brits...They're hilarious.
    "Here here"!

4. dealmaker

dealmaker

Don't watch CNBC, MSNBC, Fox, Bloomberg etc., only watch C-Span for book reviews and author interviews.

5. vanzandt

vanzandt

Last night they aired yesterday's Senate hearing on driver-less semi-trucks.
    Lots of interesting aspects discussed. CEO of Navistar, Teamster's head, NTSB folks.... good stuff.
    Learned a lot.

dealmaker likes this.