Buy Used Workstation For Trading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scataphagos, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Rambling thoughts...

Besides the money saved purchasing used, you can get high quality and reliability.

I've been using Dell Workstations for at least a dozen years. Was thinking about how many hours I've had them running and part failures experienced.

My system runs 4 workstations. I've been running Dell Precision (Dell's best quality line, IMV) for at least the last 10 years. And before that, I ran Dell Dimensions which were also good and reliable.

So... ~2500 hrs/year x 4 machines x 10 years = ~100,000 hours. (Actual run time is longer, just picked "100K hours" as a nice round number.)

Failures...

1x SSD... Intel... replaced under warranty
    1x PSU... Dell.... replaced under warranty
    1x RAM Stick... Dell... replaced under warranty
    1x Motherboard... Dell... replaced under warranty
    2x Optic Drives... "Non-Dell part" issues, no warranty replacement, but only ~$25 each.

10 years... 4 computers... 100,000 hours, only 6 minor repairs. THAT'S why traders should at least consider work station-class computers for trading.

FWIW...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    apdxyk likes this.
  2. just21

just21

apdxyk likes this.
  3. Lol. Yeah, your trading results will depend on what brand of computer you use, not on your edge...

ELo and comagnum like this.
  4. How DARE you insult my cred! You must be in Europe. American traders are not as stupid at European ones, you know.

Isn't NUC WAAAAAY expensive and not worth the price?

5. Where did I say that?

And BTW... THERE IS NO EDGE which is legal to trade upon in the US markets, BOZO.

6. just21

just21

Intel NUC can run two or three 4k displays and is easily transportable when moving office in London.

7. True of any workstation, regardless of price. What "displays" they support are mostly due to PCIE slots on the mobo and video cards. I once saw a W7 rig supporting 64 monitors... yeah, that's right... an 8x8 grid of monitors.... and there was actually "room" to support 96 monitors. (What? Are you kidding? Not even many ET'ers would claim the need for more than that! Wouldn't you get "visual sensory overload" and whiplash trying to keep track of all that display?)

8. Mtrader

Mtrader

Making these kind of statements show your own stupidity. I hope you understand this, but I am not sure.
    So by definition all American traders are less stupid then European?

I am European. I am somewhere in the middle between stupid and smart I think. Like most people. Even Americans.

It is ...AS European... not AT... I think.:confused:

9. Don't take offense. It was a joking comment. I'm quite sure Americans are equally stupid, you know.
    :)

The point of this thread... "Quality trading gear for a low price"... opinion backed by 10+ years of experience. Anyone who wants to argue "what is quality?" and "why it's smart to pay more", have at it.

10. I would have to generally agree.
    When I was starting out, I generally bought cheap/value stuff. -- But as you improve, or get more money...you generally buy higher end stuff. o_O:)

#10     Oct 24, 2016