Brokers - datacenter locations?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by rsi80, Feb 2, 2016.

1. rsi80

rsi80

Hi, all

Trader13 made a very good point about the locations of the datacenters used by a broker.

Would anyone be interested in chiming in to create a thread on this subject?

I'll start with IB:

US
    http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/208.245.107.3

Europe (CH)
    http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/212.243.80.1

Asia (HK)
    http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/gw1.ibllc.com.hk

I understand that data providers CQG, Rithmic and TT all have servers in datacenters around the world. Not sure about retail brokers and FCMs.

Your participation would be most welcome and eagerly awaited!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  2. cbc1

cbc1

Cool name RSI.... I asume u use the RSI to trade?

3. just21

just21

IB also have a server with a unique ip address in Chicago for futures traders. IB have a gateway in Equinex NY4 where all the equity exchanges, the CBOE and FX brokers are.

4. Only matters if you have DMA otherwise RegNMS Order Protection rules allows any broker to legally hold and fill your trades at the worst bid or offer of the preceeding second. Pretty intertesting analysis matching retail order fills to the preceeding second quote range. Rare for retail traffic to not get filled at the worse quotes or even outside of the NBBO entirely.

Factor this slippage / rebates / kickbacks for order flow - FINRA 1 second relief as all part of the fleecing risks of retail trading.

5. rsi80

rsi80

Does anyone know the locations of datacenters used by CQG, Rithmic and TT?

Thanks!

6. just21

just21

They will be colocated with the exchange matching engine for low latency. So for cme they will be in aurora illinois.

7. oversea

oversea

Are the any US FCMs that I'd be able to trade Eurex futures with from London (preferably LD4/5)? (In terms of servers, not in terms of compliance). All these big firms, (including those that offer Eurex futures) that tout their co-location abilities/services seem to only have setups in Aurora/Chicago (and some also in NY).

Forgive my naivete, I'm used to trading otc instruments (Index CFDs), so I'm not exactly clear how this works for futures/exchange traded products...

Even if TT and CQG, etc. have servers in LD4 that I x-connect with (or have low latency to), I would still have trans-Atlantic latency. Right?

8. just21

just21

9. If you're running an automated strategy on TT...for example Autospreader or AlgoSE, your logic is co-located. Your logic is deployed to a co-located server next to the matching engine. Since that is the case, if you're trading Eurex products your trading logic is sitting at the matching engine and not on your local PC. For example if you're spreading FGBL/FGBM from Chicago with TT, your trading logic is next to the Eurex matching engine, not in Chicago. There is no trans-Atlantic latency to be worried about.

#10     Apr 14, 2016