Black Every Day?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by nitro, Mar 17, 2008.

1. nitro

nitro

I am not able to comment on those markets, as I don't have models for any of them.

Cheap money is the trend around the world these days, so if someone said to me, ASX200 is floating on clouds I wouldn't be surprised one bit.

An impending crash? I believe that there is always an impending crash in some market around the world. Thing is, markets that don't have hard deliverables underneath them can go to valuations that don't make sense, and they don't make sense for an astonishing amount of time. Anyone that was around the tech bubble around 1998-2000 would have told you countless of stories of stocks like Pets.com that posted losses every quarter and had valuations higher than companies with real product and real customers and real dividends.

These days, I would never short a market that can have valuations based on what people think something is worth i.e, stocks. I would wait until it tells you it is right to short it. That means you miss the first 10% always. Then just sell the pullbacks. Similar to what people do in bull markets. Don't buy high, buy pullbacks away from the trend. Or if you must gamble, use option spreads with a locked in stop loss. There are old traders on wall street, and there are bold traders on wall street, but there are no old bold traders on wall street. Of course, I am talking about myself since I like quantitative models. If you are an amazing psychologist and understand the human condition, you might be able to gauge a market by simply putting your ear to the ground. I am not able to do it.

Commodities are a bit different since those are finite resources that are deliverable, and numbers matter.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    #31     Jul 1, 2015
  2. nitro

nitro

#32     Jul 4, 2015
  3. nitro

nitro

Greece says 'oxi': Here's what happens next

U.S. futures are sharply lower after the Greek vote, and CNBC will have live coverage of the aftermath tonight at 8 p.m. ET.

The Greek people voted resoundingly on Sunday to reject proposals from their European creditors.

S&P 500 futures fell 1.5 percent in early trading after 6 p.m. ET (2200 GMT).

Once the magnitude of the Greek vote became clear, the euro began falling against other major currencies, and European stock futures sank (led by a 4 percent decline for the benchmark German DAX).

Read our live blog below for the latest:
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/102752199

#33     Jul 5, 2015
  4. i960

i960

I've seen a similar type of thing last week with people mentioning the DAX being down. Stupid question here: if DAX futures aren't even open for trading for atleast 7 hours from now, where are they deriving this 4% decline from?

#34     Jul 5, 2015
  5. nitro

nitro

"...The prospect of a failing state in southeastern Europe alarms policymakers from Brussels to Washington. Greece is a member of NATO, but has been flirting with Russia. And it is the gateway to Europe for many migrants fleeing war, terror and poverty in the Middle East and Africa..." - CNN

#35     Jul 5, 2015
  6. nitro

nitro

DAX futures probably trade on the CME. Otherwise, something is trading:

http://www.investing.com/indices/germany-30-futures

#36     Jul 5, 2015
  7. nitro

nitro

#37     Jul 5, 2015
  8. i960

i960

No, they don't. They trade on EUREX. If there were some implied contract on CME it wouldn't be accurate to follow IMO.

Anyway, this is as I expected, pricing based off of CFD trades and not necessarily based off of futures. The investing.com page says: "23:35:06 - Real-time CFD Data. Currency in EUR" - which means it could be wildly different in 7 hours.

#38     Jul 5, 2015
  9. nitro

nitro

I think it is close to impossible that the EURUSD doesn't revisit 1.0970 ish throughout today.

#39     Jul 5, 2015
  10. Redneck

Redneck

This nothing to do with race

It what I think of every time I read someone crying wolf on this forum

And..., not in anyway aimed at you Nitro - just figured you'd appreciate the (my) humor

:)

RN

#40     Jul 5, 2015