Best Quote..

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mgrund, Jan 24, 2013.

1. And tall people have more opportunities in basketball.

#31     Jan 26, 2013
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

Ergo life is not fair. Never has been never will be. Deal with it numb nuts.

#32     Jan 26, 2013
  3. Ricter

Ricter

Interestingly, family wealth has a powerful affect on which sports young people get to play and practice, and have a shot at getting good enough for the major leagues. Basketball is relatively inexpensive; hockey and swimming, relatively expensive. The wealthier your parents, the better opportunities you have to demonstrate your gifts, if you have any, and ultimately play sports with high overhead.

#33     Jan 26, 2013
  4. Mav88

Mav88

Being given money only means that you might have a trust fund, or a better car, it does not mean you will perform better at any profession. There isn't any field I can think of where your salary or competance is determined by your daddy's money. Have you ever asked your doctor if he came from a wealthy family? I would maintain that most of the time trust fund kids are not highly motivated to work hard.

It's hard to get data because we cannot seperate out the causes, but we do have an example of an entire non-white cohort that was highly upwardly mobile. The asians basically started at 0 and were a target of discrimination. They now have higher household incomes than whites, so much for being white as the lottery winner. Proof that your parents income is not your statisical economic destiny in america.

Ricter, I know your religion is underpinned by the idea static economic classes but try looking at the world around you without bias. Just why the hell would tens of millions of mexicans break into this place only to be stuck as chicken processors? Asians come here with nothing for the opportunity you say does not exist, and they end up with more income than whites. How could that be in a racist, static class society?

Interesting stuff about asians, in contrast to blacks:

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2012/06/19/the-rise-of-asian-americans/

Polar opposite blacks in the kids and marriage thing, and I'll be damned, they value hard work instead of affirmative action as a way to get ahead. Sure seems to be working doesn't it?

They do not waste time dwelling on racism, probably because they recognize that asians are racist themselves. Some of them actually view it as an economic advantage, and they are probably right.

Here's probably the most interesting item

[​IMG]

It seems they have a problem with blacks as well, and they say they get along better with whites than even other asians. When enough different people have a problem with you, when is it that you finally look in the mirror instead of blaming them?

#34     Jan 27, 2013
  5. jem

jem

While I think Obama's politics are dead ass wrong - I you wish to improve the standard of living for almost everyone.

I still respect the fact he is a smart guy who worked his way up to be President.

#35     Jan 27, 2013
  6. Ricter

Ricter

Well and fairly said.

Are you listening, wildchild?

#36     Jan 27, 2013
  7. Ricter

Ricter

Argumentum ad populum, therefore irrelevant.

#37     Jan 27, 2013
  8. Mav88

Mav88

dude learn some logic, I asked a rhetorical question about race relations, I didn't make a conclusion.

It's good advice for anybody. When everyone has a problem with you, it's time to look in the mirror.

http://www.economist.com/node/9587776

#38     Jan 27, 2013
  9. If 99cent could understand what you posted he'd be really pissed at you.

#39     Jan 27, 2013
  10. Ricter

Ricter

You do in fact make a conclusion, "it's time to look in the mirror." Your premise (there is another, unstated) is, "everyone is saying X". Argument ad populum.

#40     Jan 27, 2013