Best Backtesting software?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Huskeez, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Huskeez

Huskeez

What are yours guys thoughts on some good software to backtest strategies on?

Cheers xxoxxo Gossip Girl

2. Bowgett

Bowgett

Visual Studio

cjbuckley4 likes this.
  3. Give Amibroker a look.

4. I personally like Trading Blox.

Positives:
    • true portfolio testing
    • Monte Carlo analysis
    • Profit/loss based upon R multiple concept
    • full statistical reporting
    • extensive parameter stepping (though its easy to get carried away testing insignificant variations)
    • supports Metastock, CSI, and CSV data formats
    • extensive scripting language
    • scripting language well-documented
    • a new feature is automated EOD order submittal to IB
    • another new feature added is multi-threaded support (1-2 threads per core)
    Negatives:
    • it's pricey (not a bad thing given how non-retail the
      software is
    • no trial/try-before-buying version
    • You'll need to buy the $4K Builder edition if you want to program your own "blox" (i.e code your own entry/exit/risk/money management routines)
    • slow when testing stocks. Need to break your list into multiple chunks or reduce your degrees of freedom to 2 at best
      can't test options
    I haven't used Trading Blox since 2009, so I don't know the current state of the program.

AmiPro looks interesting. The new release apparently has multi-threaded/multi-monitor support. Download it and test it out.

If you like it, it's only $299. Not bad.

And no, I'm not a vendor of or associated with Trading Blox or AmiPro

5. Gueco

Gueco

i have amibroker and quantshare, they are about the same price and quantshare is better

6. Check out Mechanica as well. Although they don't allow you to demo the software, which I thought was a bit frustrating.

7. Can you tell me the price of quantshare? And also, can it plot tick by tick charts?

8. I like E-signal IMO

9. Visual Studio is very good. Also Eclipse.

cjbuckley4 likes this.
  10. mastadee

mastadee

I use WealthLab, not too pricey and works well for me. there is a test version which you can check out and see if you like it.

cheers

#10     Oct 22, 2013