Beginner Needs Reliable, FREE Options Information

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by JaneE, Jan 26, 2007.

1. JaneE

JaneE

That's exactly the type of neanderthal comment that is all too often associated with traders. Given that the vast majority of the posters on this site are men, what could you possibly know about how women write? :mad:

At least jhaughey was enough of a gentleman to apologize. You could learn a lot from him.

#11     Jan 26, 2007
  2. Just a suggestion, don't get too wrapped up in being offended here. Yes, there's a lot "opinionated" folks but there is some good information especially when it comes to options.

If you're looking to grasp the basics of options, I recommend anything by McMillan for starters. This will get some basics, and after that Natenburg's book is good. Once you get a feel for how options fit into your risk tolerance/trading style and which type of options positions appeal to you and which don't, you'll want to post specific questions to the options area of elitetrader. There's some really smart and experienced folks that contribute to that area. Just shrug off personal attacks and take bits of information as they come.

It will take many months or years to get comfortable with the intimate details.

#12     Jan 26, 2007
  3. Oh yes, and DO NOT waste money on another subscription type service. Books are good, though. The key is to spend a lot of time learning and doing a bit of self discovery. The beauty of options is that you can make them as "risky" or conservative as you want.

#13     Jan 26, 2007
  4. Jane-

Lots of good, free info over at the TOS site. These guys are top-notch people, check out their reviews under BROKERS at the top.

http://www.thinkorswim.com

Don-

#14     Jan 26, 2007
  5. My sincere apologies if you are just trying to learn, but this post was just like the classic spam ploy:

1. New member.
    2. Wants to find "information" about something.
    3. Suggests this "great site". Just check it out and tell me if it's okay - complete with IT'S FREE "ad copy" syntax.
    4. And, really, how would a complete newbie run into a site like optionsinsider? They've only been "launched" for a few days.

Again, sorry if you were offended. Welcome to ET and good luck in your quest for knowledge. :cool:

#15     Jan 26, 2007
  6. Tums

Tums

Try this out. It is fun and revealing.

http://bookblog.net/gender/genie.html

#16     Jan 26, 2007
  7. #17     Jan 26, 2007
  8. #18     Jan 26, 2007

9. here are the best option sites

www.optionplanet.com

www.redoption.com

good luck!

surf

#19     Jan 26, 2007
  10. JaneE

JaneE

Wow! So much good information, I don't know where to begin. Thank you all for your help. Here's what I've found so far...

That OIC website is great. They had a lot of good information with no sales and no scams. That's what I want...just the facts please.

I took a look at redoption.com, and they seem to fall into the same old "pay to play" thing that I've been seeing a lot lately. However, they do seem to have some interesting info, so it might be worth checking them out some more.

Think or Swim seems to be a pretty reputable outfit, which is refreshing. I'm sick of people trying to scam me out of my wallet. I only checked them out briefly, so I have to do more homework before I decide whether or not to use them. I've heard good things about OptionsXpress as well, so I've added them to my list to check out.

As for how I found that optionsinsider.com site, I just googled options and their press release came up. The release said free, so I checked them out. They didn't appear to be trying to scam me, since they weren't selling anything. They also had a pretty cool options news ticker, which I didn't see anywhere else. As for how good they are, I don't really know since most of that stuff is WAY above my head. That's why I thought I would ask you guys. The wisdom of crowds, you know...

Anyway, thanks again. You guys (and maybe some girls) have been a big help. :)

#20     Jan 27, 2007