AVG 8.01 toolbar/search feature slowing down web browsing

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by dtrader98, May 28, 2008.

1. Anyone having this issue with the latest AVG update? Every time I change web pages it is slowing my browswer down to a crawl, while scanning each possible URL.
    Anyone know how to disable this annoying feature?

Also, when I allowed the toolbar, I didn't expect it to take the another portion of my browser toolbar. I thought it would be on the bottom of my windows screen, as it was previously.

Starting to feel like norton with this version.

:mad:

Never mind, I disabled it under options (except the toolbar still hogs up browser space). No need to have this as google already does a decent job at flagging potential problem sites.

2. You can reinstall it and uncheck the 'install toolbar' option and it will load it w/out the toolbar.

3. jebara

jebara Guest

The toolbar and the link scanner feature slow down your net.

4. paulxx

paulxx

5. I won't use AVG, Avira (is there another A... ?) because they
    haven't in the past handled '.exe' virus types that disable them
    as well as other sw on the computer, including not being able to
    re-install — Win32.Virut.Gen.4 - PCTools naming

I switched to PCTools free av:
    http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

also Zone Alarm and some others may have conflicts with broker
    order entry sw

yes, routers should be used but if one downloads anything to
    the computer an av is needed to scan the download

and: http://www.mailwasher.net/

6. paulxx

paulxx

Had my first customer today who called me out purely because of AVG 8 and vista SP1 conflict.

His internet slowed to crawl with AVG 8 after installing SP1. His ISP helped him uninstall SP1 (leaving AVG). It helped but was still not right.

I suspected that AVG was the problem. It wouldn't uninstall, so I had to forcibly shutdown services. Finally got it to uninstall and everything was fine again. There were no other spyware or virus problems - I did a few minor tweaks also, but AVG was the big problem. This version intertwines itself between the browser and the internet (winsock etc.)

I put on Avira Antivir with the no-nag fix and everything was fine, going like a rocket. With that, Spybot 1.4 (no 'helper' just run weekly), the built in Windows firewall and just a bit careful what he clicks on, he will be just fine. (If you need outgoing firewall protection, that means you must have a virus on the inside - get Antivir). After a clean-up (see my link above) and this software (previously I used AVG) and some basic keyword filtering on Limewire ('adult', .exe, .zip .pif etc) almost all of my customers have been fine for 18 months plus, or the life of their old computer. That's many hundreds - possibly thousands over the last few years.

7. AVG's upgraded version, about 3 or months ago, sucks the life out of your PC resources. Has been discussed in a number of places, i got confirmation using quick google search. Sadly, i had to uninstall it, and the old version is no longer usable.:mad:

8. newtoet

newtoet

Very strange that people have so many problems. I have been running it for almost a month and have had no issues at all.

9. I HAVE READ ALOT OF POST AND NOTICED THAT EVERY ONES HAVING PROBLEMS WITH IT I STILL USE AVG TOOL BAR FOR FACEBOOK AND EMAIL BUTTONS IT HAS . IT HASNT SLOWED DOWN MY BROWSER .IM USING 256-BIT IE8 AND LOVE IT ON MY WINDOWS 7 I HAD TO MAKE A FEW TWEAKS TO THE BROWSER BUT ITS FAST AND IM AMAZES ME AT THE SPEED

10. This is one of the way to make your web loading more quickly

#10     Sep 8, 2010