Average float size per industry / sector?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Love2Trade$, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Hi ET peeps,

Can any experienced traders give me their opinion on what they believe to be the average and low float size per industry / sector (U.S. equities & ADRs) below? I've filled in whatever I could find concerning the industries I trade most below. I understand there may be nuances between sector & industry, some feel certain industries should be lumped together & others separated, and that there will be differences in opinion between what constitutes "low float." Also, any website / link you can share that has a simple basic breakdown of average float and low float size per industry / sector for U.S. equities & ADRs?

Please don't murder me
    if I've mis-categorized something dear to your heart. The more differing opinions the richer the learning; thanks for your thoughts!

Average / Low Float by Industry / Sector

1. Low float in general: < 15 M shares (implying only ~ 15% of all shares outstanding available as float to trade publicly)
    2. Biotech: < 50 M (low)
    3. Tech:
    4. REITs:
    5. Oil / Gas:
    6. Machinery:
    7. Electric / Energy / Utilities:
    8. Telecom:
    9. Food:
    10. Retail:
    11. Insurance:

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

What is the purpose of this?
    How does the number of shares of listed companies by industry help you?
    I would think Market Cap would be a better metric.

3. I use market cap as well currently. I trade volatile situations where I have to make rapid entries / exits and float impacts those decisions. So I wanted to memorize avg. float for a few given industries I trade so that I could trade them better.

What would you say ballpark average or low float for: Biotech, REITs, and tech stocks?