Automated Trading Systems While Working Full Time?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by SimpleMeLike, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Hello everyone,

This may be a blessing in disguised and forcing me to learn to program, back-test, and automated my trading. This is my pathforward now.

I been discretionary trading a strategy daily while at work (full time job, in office) using CTS T4 desktop software for about 2 months. I have fair results.

Everything was going pretty good, til my IT Manager put up a new firewall, and now I have no access to CTS T4 platform or even NinjaTrader from work computer. So, I have been trading with my CTS T4 mobile app from company wifi (work pc can not connect to company wifi) and its really tiresome for me trading from phone.

Now I am planning on using NinjaTrader to automate my system for me (and backtest it) while at work.

Does anyone else work full time at company while they system automate from home? Please share how you do it, so I can prepare like you. I spoke NinjaTrader and I can run my system without my interference.

Thank you

2. Handle123

Handle123

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  3. birzos

birzos

So you want to compete against the best algos in the world using retail tools without monitoring the system in realtime.

And what percentage return on capital per month are you trying to achieve with the algos. There's no point asking our associates for help because they'll charge you to architect it and we'll get a copy for use.

So I'll tell you what to do, go to AWS (free for one year) or Azure and get yourself an instance. Then sign up for an email to sms service, ping yourself via code an sms from the platform every 4hrs to notify you it's running.

Ping yourself an sms every entry, exit and stop, you'll be able to track it in you head or keep a small notebook. Everyone will just think you're popular which is funny. Then make sure you have an instant kill switch, there are various ways such as forced instance shutdown. You control the process and the environment.

Or you go to a provider, but you can guarantee they will mess something up when you're not looking evaporating your account. Alternatively you just trade 240m and 1d on close bars and skip all the drama, you can print out the charts and take them with you for the day planning the trade while waiting for triggers.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    fan27 and SimpleMeLike like this.
  4. Thanks for responding birzos and your recommendations. Just a few comments to your post below. Respond as needed

Can please elaborate on this comment? What do you mean retail tools? This my first time discussing/thinking about automated trading.

Can please elaborate on this comment? What do you mean "no point asking our associates for help because they'll charge you to architect it and we'll get a copy for use." ? I was planning on programming myself or using a programmer for pieces of the strategy that I do not how to do.

Thanks, I like this option as I know when trades are taking. I will see if NinjaTrader has this option.

I am still discretionary trading via my cell phone charts, but this will need to end soon. Plus I need to start auto backtesting my strategy/ideas, so at this point there is no running from programming and learning how to program and backtest faster. Forward testing is good, but takes too long to see if money can be made.

Thanks for your input.

5. birzos,

Not sure I understand what you mean here. Can you please explain the purpose of Azure?